SW17 Material Modification Problem

Hello

I want to make holes on a part but I still get the following message: The function was unable to cut the body.

However, on this same part I have already been able to make holes. But since then I have changed my SOLIDWORKS profile. So I guess it comes from my options but I can't find the cause.

Thank you in advance for your help.

833028.sldprt

I will revisit my question.

Hello

Instead of choosing "until the next surface", try "until the surface" and select the desired surface. Otherwise with the "one-eyed" option and a sufficient distance.

Edit: I can't open your room, I'm in SW15.

Hello@alexandredelarue07

For me, with my 2019 version, all material removals are correctly carried out without changing anything in your file.

I don't see what in the settings could generate this error message except maybe if in the assembly you have configurations before the transformation of the ASM into Part.

On the other hand I have an error message when recognizing function with overlapping parts so I don't know what would close ;-) I only see that your holes are well made.

Given that your part is a sheet metal box,  I prefer PhilippeB's suggestion but I restrict to  this favor [[One-eyed and 3 mm (depending on the max thickness of your sheets).]]

I only use until the next surface when I'm sure it's not going to create a surprise with unexpected holes. With one-eyed you will have no problem.

Another point that @philippeB couldn't  see!
This is because your part is an assembly transformed into a part. So you have 58 bodies and it's on these bodies that you make holes that are used to attach cable grommets.

Kind regards

PS: you know how to do an UP after two hours can bring frustration because the people who answer on this forum are volunteers and come to help colleagues when they are a little time away or during train or plane  travel time ;-) No one is required to respond within a short period of time.

2 Likes

Hello

When I open the room it tells me: future version so I don't have access to the functions.

I am still trying to find an answer.

According to Zozo, it is an assembly transformed into parts. Why not keep the assembly format?

Rather than letting the function choose the bodies, why not manually choose the area of action of the function?

Hello

me like @zozo_mp I have the holes.

Material removal tent in both directions (middle shot)

May the force be with you

Thank you very much for your answers, unfortunately I have already tried to do my drilling with the blind function or by keeping the assembly. But I still have this problem since I changed my pc.

I simply downloaded a box on Tracepart (ref 833028 from GE), 2 years ago, no problem I could perform any functions but for about 1 year impossible to do, and I have tried with other references GE polysafe boxes on tracepart just in case but the problem persists.

But maybe it's from my version of solidworks, they may have updated their library on tracepart to a more recent version of solidworks?

PS: Zozo_mp, sorry to have up. It's been a week since I got an answer, I didn't want my post to fall back to the bottom of the forum;) But I apologize if it may have seemed rude of me, indeed it's already nice of you to take the time to answer my question in your free time.

For me the answer is that 

you must want to make a hole or remove material on a surface

your bodies must be full

View via the Sectional View tool Attached image

@+ ;-)

ps:

I just did some tests and it works even when being a surface by doing through everything ?????????????      under  SW 2017

See attached image

2 Likes

So it comes from my profile if you can make holes with the same version of solidworks. But after which option or parameter is stuck with me, I can't find it. Is there a way you can transfer your profile to me? If you don't mind, of course:) To see if it can solve my problem.

Personally I don't understand what profile you're talking about?

see attached file SW 2017

@+

alexandredelarue07_833028.sldprt

In option (the cog at the top), you have "Save/restore settings". That's what I mean when I talk about a profile, more precisely a parameter profile that is registered in .sldreg

Up ;)

Hello Alexandre

Since March 4th I thought you had solved your problem. ;-)  ;-) ;-)

Hello @ everyone

In short, could someone post their . SLDREG hoping for Alexandre that there is no link between the license number or other stuff of the kind (and other mother card number) that would make it inoperative anywhere other than on the machine on which it was created.

It would be better if it was the same version as Alexandre's because no one knows what is in these files from one version to another.

Kind regards

Hello

Like gt22 and under SW2017 I have no problem doing drilling and other machining on your part. If we transfer you our sldreg profile you will inevitably have problems because a certain number of options contain network paths that will not correspond to the ones you have, so it is better that you reset your options, after making a backup of them of course, that you try to modify your part and if it works that you put them back little by little to find the one that bothers you.

Kind regards

4 Likes

Indeed, the sldreg will not be a problem from a licensing point of view but it contains all the paths (those that can be defined in the options but also others) used by SW.
It's easy and interesting to examine: it's a stupid text file.

1 Like