Landmark problem

Hello

Is it possible to work in a coordinate system other than an orthonormal coordinate system in a solidworks assembly?

Hello

If I understand your question correctly, I would say no, any part or assembly is identified according to the 3 x, y or z axes.

1 Like

Hello!

Can you tell us why you want a different marker than orthonomed?

Maybe we can find a solution?

1 Like

Hello

with a vibrating chair and a cinema-type sound system you could call it ...  uh 4D I think; ). No, it's humorous, the goal of 3D is to work in 3 dimensions, hence the orthonomized marker, otherwise there are software such as autocad for 2d.

thomas.guillard, I need to have a non-orthonormal coordinate system, because I use SolidWorsks to retrieve the coordinates of points for machining, the problem is that the machine in question is not a machining center but a gear cutter, therefore the "Y" axis will depend on the inclination of my spindle which means that it does not will not be perpendicular to my "Z" axis but it will be perpendicular to my "X" axis.

A ok, but you can create this axis in your assembly, you just have to create an axis with the intersection of your face (x/y) and top (x/z) planes, then you create a constrained plane according to the axis you just created (x-axis) and an inclination with respect to your face plane (y/x), Then, if you want to make an axis (y'), take the intersection of the plane you just created and the plane on the right (y/z). You have to think in terms of reference points oriented according to the original reference points of the fixed part or according to those of the assembly, it all depends on your project.

You cannot define coordinates without an orthonormal coordinate system, because these coordinates necessarily depend on your origin and orientation.

You can certainly build a mathematical model of transformations between your system and an orthonormal Cartesian basis.

The classic way is to have a transformation matrix.

Otherwise the "old" way with trigonometric projections it works too :-)

I just reread your message, basically it's a 4-axis machine?

Your Y-axis should be linked to another axis from which you can retrieve the rotation value.

So a little trigo seems to me to be definitely playable

Transform your 4 machine values into 3 Cartesian values in excel and you're done!

But if I understood correctly, you want to use solidworks to determine your machining points, so you don't know the displacements of your spindle, right? Is it for a helical tooth? 

Hi all

Thank you for your answers, I managed to manage differently by using the trigo as Thomas.Guillard advised me .

A.Leblanc, it's not for a helical gear, but it's for roughing bevel gears with a disc cutter.

2 Likes