Measurement Tool Problem - SOLIDWORKS Assembly

Hi all

In my assemblies, the solid measurement tool gives me uninteresting dimensions. E.g., by measuring the distance between an axis and a surface. The main dimension (A) is absurd, and in the dimensions according to the axes (B) I have the answer I am looking for. This is not so much a pb when the surfaces are well aligned with the assembly coordinate system, but it becomes so when the parts are tilted.

Do you know how to display the normal/shorter/geometrically correct dimension, first in the tool.

I hope I have been clear enough;D

The distance displayed is not absurd, it is the shortest in the geometric sense of the term.

Depending on the measurement you want to make, you have to juggle (even if it means building an intermediate reference) with the options offered by the tool via the icons placed at the top of the window (from left to right):
1 - Center-to-Center Distance / Center to Far Point / etc;
2 - Display Units and Accuracy;
3 - display of the projection on the X, Y and Z axes (of the default coordinate system);
4 - point-to-point distance;
5 - projection of the measurement on one face or the plane of the screen.

I agree that the projection on the axes of a user-defined coordinate coordinate coordinate system seems to be missing (I say seems because I haven't found it but it may exist).

Thank you for your answer,

What I mean by shorter geometrically is by considering the axes and planes. Here, I have certainly selected surfaces, but I am looking for the only distance that can exist between a plane and an axis parallel to it.

Basically, I'm trying to display by default a side corresponding to the distance between infinite axes and planes. Is there an option to display this type of measurement from the outset?

Thank you

If we select 2 parallel plane faces, SW displays the normal distance first:

To get the distance of a cylinder, you have to go through the temporary axes:

mesure1.jpg
mesure2.jpg
3 Likes