Problem in making an outline

Hello

I have a problem with making an outline and closing my volume. I would like the green volume to be the outline with a thickness of the volume that is underneath and for the blue dot to glue the edge in blue and combine all this to have only one solid. I've tested a lot of things in volume in surface but I always end up with an error message.

Can someone help me

I'm attaching the file to you in case it's easier.

Thanks in advance

volant_w09_48.sldprt

I look forward to the solution proposed by

gt22 at random ;-) fortich' in surface

Because indeed the thicken function like the "offset entities" function where the second line cannot be modified in length.

[Zozo in Bourin   mode ON]
The silly solution is to make the line a little longer and plane with another sketch but there must be a more elegant solution.
[Zozo in Bourin   mode /OFF]

Kind regards

2 Likes

Indeed, what surprises me is that on the top part, it worked. I'm too beginner to grasp this kind of subtlety. 

1 Like

Patience;-)  the colleagues friends will tell you how to do it, they are fortiches

Kind regards

Thank you for your answer, I was just nodding. No problem of patience or impatience For me. I've been trying to solve this problem for at least 10 hours without finding a solution.

Hello

Your version is too recent for me, I started from a STEP.

This may give ideas:

The principle extrusion follows two directions until surface move/copy.

EDIT: when creating the sketch on the offset plane, you have to create the offset entities before converting the outer edges otherwise you can't stretch to close.

SolidWorks 2016 File

volant_w09_48-piste.sldprt
5 Likes

So now Franck, I'm sawn off.

When I see the possibilities of these functions that I don't know then I come across the ... BEEP...

Small question on this occasion I discover  the "delete face" function and the choice to delete and fill in the discontinuities.  Can we use this function between two basic extrusions. Indeed, it is not uncommon for me to be bothered by these discontinuities when I make holidays or chamfers. Also from a visual point of view, it's easier on complicated parts.

Congratulations again and thank you Franck for sharing your knowledge ;-)

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello 

Your part is unstable, you may be abusing too many 3D sketches , so you get surfaces full of bumps.

You will therefore have difficulty shifting your surfaces to obtain your thicknesses.

vue-02.jpg
1 Like

Hello @ Zozo_mp I don't have the hindsight under SW of this type of function (Face removal under CATIA).

I have several years on CATIA and only a few months on SW.

I would have preferred to have the history and tried to understand what creates the discontinuity.

But as you say, it can remove a thorn in the side of some PBs, especially when you use solids with no history (continuity of spokes, chamfers, draft, etc.).

For me, the simplest solution is the following:

You create a plane parallel to the front plane of a distance equal to the height of your room. (addition in green)

In this plane you make your sketch by converting your edges and shifting the desired thickness

Then you extrude to the next surface.

If I have understood correctly what you want to achieve.

contour.png
1 Like

Hi zozo_mp,

I use this function in sheet metal, when I have to modify the bending radii of a step I do like these

1 Like

Thank you @ac cobra 427 ;-) (I left a comment for the good tutorial)

2 Likes

Thank you all for your precious help, I finally opted for the method of p.soulard in any case I understood the error messages I had. Little by little... I'm going to be able to finalize this steering wheel.

For the 3D sketches I didn't know it wasn't great, I had seen a tutorial where the guy used them a lot. I will try to do without it.

On the other hand, what bothers me is the big mess in my tree, I'm already going to start renaming my sketches and my objects. Do you have any tips for storage?

Good evening @chris65

For me, the best method is the one from @franck.ceroux because it respects the shape of the bottom which is not flat but curved.

In the solution you seem to have chosen, the top surface is flat and does not have the shape of the bottom part.

I must have misunderstood your need, sorry.

Kind regards

1 Like

To tell you the truth, not knowing which end to take it, I had started with a simple extrusion that I would have cut to have a flat part. That's why P.Soulard's solution suits me. It's true that I didn't elaborate on the purpose of the thing since I didn't know where to start, Sorry