Texture problem on display cut (SW 2017)

Hello

I am a beginner in solidworks so maybe some questions or approaches will seem curious to you

I want to render a building by making a section to see the inside.

I apply textures and in the outside view, no problem. but when I ask for a cut view, the textures jump or propagate... even when rendering PhotoView.

Any lead for my problem?

01_out.jpg

Here is attached the image in interior view, the one that is problematic...

01_in.jpg

Good evening

This problem is not very logical but is quite easily explained.

In your case you do a mapping (a texturing), which is like putting an image on a surface. The principle of all mapping is to attach in one way or another to an edge (whatever its shape) and with at least 2 edges  or edges (even in very sophisticated software like MODO or MARI  from  the foundry company, it works like this).

However, by first doing your mapping and then your cross-sectional view, you are precisely cutting one of the reference surfaces. As it is lost, the software no longer displays it.

So two solutions:

The first one is to be checked but I don't really believe in it ! Do your cross-sectional view first and then your mapping afterwards. But the cross-sectional views don't seem to me to be too suitable for this kind of manipulation because there is normally no edge at the place of the cut.

The second one that will work for sure. You create a plane parallel to the face to be removed then ==> a rectangular sketch larger than the gable of the building ==> a removal of material ==> then you do your mapping normally as well as all your lighting and other subtleties of the rendering.

When you have finished your images,  all you have to do is neutralize your material removal with the "delete" function for your building to regain its integrity. (Presumably without loss of mapping if you do it correctly.)

Keep us informed of the result ;-)

Kind regards

2 Likes

Silly question I understand 

but why not make a transparency in the right of the cut

This will allow you to visualize the interior

@+

3 Likes

Good evening@gt22

This is not a silly question!

However, transparency generates a sharpness defect that will generate a rendered image much lower than the equivalent of the section view.

It's a bit like changing the material of the gable with glass, which would be a last resort. We can see inside, of course! but with all the artifacts on the image related to the glass. The result will be of lower quality, or even unacceptable, compared to what is sought, namely to show the quality of the internal installation of the building.

The applicant will tell us if the idea of transparency suits him: after all ;-)

Kind regards

3 Likes

Thank you for your feedback.

So yes, my cuts are display cuts, with any angles. And in this mode, you can't affect textures.

Making hard cuts as proposed is a solution that I have already tested, and that works but when you want to make x cuts it becomes a real problem. and cuts that "cut" several parts and sub-assemblies, it remains very very heavy.

Hello @d.biney

Not necessarily heavy if you use plans.

With method N°2 that I suggested, you just have to move only the dimension of the plane to move the section, since in this case the dimension of the material removal does not change with respect to the plane.

I don't have SW with me for a few days, to test for example two material removals with planes arranged at 90° or with different angles, but whose depth of material removal is controlled by the plane dimension and not by the depth of the material removal. I will make a tutorial to show all the variety of views that can be obtained with this method.

I don't know how many HQ rendering images you want to make per day, but your perception that it's heavy escapes me. Maybe your ASMs are much more complex than the images you posted.

However, I hope that the information on the cause of the malfunction that I gave you was useful to you.

Kind regards

1 Like

Thank you Zozo_mp,

Indeed, the controllable side will allow you to have "on demand" cuts.

I'm going to dig into that. But I admit that for my current project, I will run out of time. And that my lack of experience with SW doesn't help.

To solve part of my PB, I generate 2 renders, one with the cut and the other without and using the 2 images, I create one that has at least the textures on the outer elements. (thanks photoshop)