Property Description

Under SolidWorks in System Options Tools, I set the Designation property to the Description property.

So I thought that in a simple Windows Explorer, if I added the "Description" column, I would get the Designation value written in the SolidWorks properties.

A priori it doesn't work, I forgot something?

propriete_description.docx
1 Like

Hello

Is the problem the same after closing SolidWorks and reopening files?

And also for the new parts?

If in SolidWorks I add the Description property, save my part, and close it, no problem.

But that doesn't work anymore with the Designation property.

In fact there is something weird

I looked I have 2 x the Descrition property of selectable

and only one of the two actually displays the description

Check in the list see screenshot

sans_titre_-_1.png
6 Likes

I think this link is not working. Only the EPDM allows this.

EDIT: check done, I had made the same request to the hotline in 2012 to do it on Seven and SW2011, and it was indeed not possible!

Sorry Fred

2 Likes

@jfaradon: Have you assigned the Designation property under SoldWorks?

@Benoit: It seemed to me that it was possible without EPDM.

The problem is not unique to SolidWorks files. We'll have the same thing with word for example. I'd even say it's worse because I can't get the Description property to display for Word files...

In the case of SolidWorks it works, but only for the Description property (so we won't be able to display another property), and the file must be closed (read-only problem)...  and memory, it doesn't work with all versions of SolidWorks... with the 2014 installed on my computer, it works...

Then beware, there are two description columns (right click on a column -> others and check the list...)

Last point... there is an SPR for that...  Filed as Improvement Request... -_-

EDIT: Thanks to benoit.lf, I didn't remember what version I had come across this problem... and it was at the beginning of the SolidWorks/Seven compatibility... and it seems to me that it has been working since the 2012 version...

description.jpg

Indeed there are 2 description properties in Windows, and you have to choose all 2!

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/293070#293070