What do you think of TopSolid Design (the design part)?

I don't see many users of TopSolid (Design) on this forum, yet it's a must-have French software in CAD. Of course, the design methodology is different from a SW or a Catia, but in my opinion, it has a greater flexibility of use than SolidWorks, its direct competitor.

Hello

It is true that TopSolid is as fast as SolidWorks and other CAD software to design parts (especially the 2013 version!). But it is used more often than in CAM because it is compatible with other CAD software, so we get used to transferring parts files.

For my part, my design office does not have a numerical control machine. We therefore do not need to create our parts with TopSolid Design.

Have a nice day.

2 Likes

Hello

It is true that originally at Missler it was mainly the machining part that was developed (TopCam). But TopSolid Design, which was originally developed primarily to meet the needs of TopCam users, is also perfectly autonomous. The company I work for ( http://www.geslin-sas.fr/ ) owns MasterCam for the CAM part. 95% of my studies are done on TopSolid. In my opinion, today we should no longer make the Topsolid amalgam equal to machining.

Have a nice day

2 Likes

It is true that TopSolid is a CAD/CAM software with two standalone parts (Design and Cam). The FAO part is much better known and the habits remain. Indeed, when you study design at school, you don't use this software.

Have a nice day

(I looked at your company's website. In addition to looking very interesting, the site itself is very impressive! )

3 Likes

Hello

It is clear that TopSolid has a different methodology than SoildWorks and Catia, but in their previous generation of product, V6. I have a subcontractor who switched to their new V7 version and now we are in the same philosophy as SW, Catia ProE and others but with a few years delay.

For me, TopSolid's strength is the CAM but also their CAD software in wood and  mold. But for the moment these modules have not been ported to their new V7 version.

So I guess you use the V6, if you ever test the V7 I would like to have your opinion to compare it to what some of my customers and subcontractors have told me!

@+

1 Like

When we migrate to V7 in a few years (when the transition will be "inevitable"). I will share my impressions with you.

1 Like

Hello

Personally I used TS (V6 and earlier) for about 8 years, as an employee.

When I started my own business as a subcontractor BE méca (sarl Becom-d: http://www.becom-d.fr/), I obviously tested SW (much more widespread than its distant cousin...) and I must say that I joined it very quickly:

-Much more user-friendly.

-Quick to learn.

-More possibilities (SW premium)... etc...

In short, without denigrating TS, which remains a powerful software, I am much more efficient during my developments with SW than with TS and I have no regrets about having changed platforms, with all that follows (license, training, new reasoning... etc...).

Kind regards.

NSSF.

Hello contact3,

It's exactly the opposite, I started on SolidWork as a student, then under Catia V5 which is ultra efficient but not adapted to small companies and when I arrived as an employee here I switched to TopSolid V6 "by force". And I found it much uglier but much more convenient to leverage for business needs.

Hello

You have to compare what is comparable, the V6 was made in 98... You have to compare it to solidworks of the same year...

The news is the seven and there in terms of design / usability / features it is well worth solidworks. Ergonomy, let's not talk about it (context menu, design in place, integrated PDM, index management etc etc).

As for the CAM part, it is not mandatory and it is not the criterion of choice of topsolid except for cases of complete digital chain.

I've been a top solid user for about ten years.

First on the V6, now on the V7. It is true that the V6 presentation was difficult to use for an untrained user. (students on internships for example). We have just migrated to TOPSOLID V7, so training of our design office  in our premises. In the group, there were 2 young people, 1 engineering student and a 20-year-old colleague who had never worked in 3D design..... These 2 boys immediately understood this interface which is super intuitive.

Our company has migrated to the PDM and to the new super intuitive interface.

Hi all

I have been drawing on this software for almost 4 years and I find it very efficient and easy to use.