What is the logic of positioning part bodies with constraints in PartDesign on CATIA V5

Hello

I have a question about the part body constraints on CATIA V5. When you insert an additional body piece (either by copying and pasting or by creating it), you may have to move it or constrain it. What I don't understand is why sometimes the body freezes and an ink appears and why sometimes it moves as we wish. Is there a way to fix it as it is the case on the Assembly module?

Thank you in advance for your answers

See this link

http://catiadoc.free.fr/pdf/FR-Dassault-Systems_part_design.pdf

Thank you for this very practical link but I didn't see anything in it that defined the order in which the parts move according to the constraints added between them.

If someone can go deeper, it will be nice.

Hello

When using constraints to position parts bodies, the first thing is to have no link on an external reference (XY plane; ZZ; ZX axle system, etc).

No, we don't have the constraint of fixity (anchor) as in ASSEMBLY.

A first body must be constrained on the reference planes (XY; ZZ; ZX) (3 constraints of shift or coincidence depending on the need) which has the effect of blocking a first body that will serve as a fixed reference for the rest.

After the good practice, it is to first select an element on the body that you want to position and then the reference on the positioning body.

In this way, the one who moves is the one we want to position

1 Like

Thank you Franck!!