Which CAD software to choose?

Hello

Currently a method technician, I am looking for CAD software to perform the tasks entrusted to me. I am currently using my colleague's computer who needs it regularly who uses TopSolid V6. In order not to disturb him anymore and to be able to work from my computer, the company and I would like to buy a new license of CAD software. It would be best if I used the same software as my colleague, but unfortunately, I don't know how to use it. I learned during my school year how to use Catia V5, Solidworks and CREO3 and I would like a similar software that allows me to perform the following actions:

• Create a room.
  • Assemble parts.
  • Drawing parts and assemblies.
  • Export parts and assemblies to PDF 3D easily.

As you can see, I don't need a lot of software functions, so I'm looking for something easy to use or comparable to SolidWorks, Catia or CREO that allows me to perform the actions described, as cheaply as possible and if possible without the need for training.

Thank you for your answers.

Given the compatibility problems between software, if Topsolid is suitable, I don't see any reason to change. From a business point of view, it would be better for you to do a Topsolid training.

In cheap, I think there is Zw3d which was released a while ago, but I haven't tested. But you will have to train yourself, so see above.

Otherwise, since you know SW, stay with it, it can possibly complement Topsolid if you need to make exchanges with your customers.

9 Likes

For my part I would say to stay on the CAD software already in place in the company otherwise it will quickly be a mess :/

5 Likes

When I arrived at my current company, the cartoonist, who was retiring, was working on TopSolid. For my part, I started working on Solidworks. File exchanges were really not easy, we could only go through compatible files such as steps.
Today, the difficulties are still felt when I have to modify parts that were created on TopSolid.

So if you have the possibility, try to have a training on TopSolid instead. From the little I've seen, it doesn't look complicated to use.

4 Likes

Stay with Topsolid.

With a handful of hours of explanations from your colleague and a little practice, you will reach your goal.

I had started on Topsolid V5 in my old company. About ten hours were enough for me to get to grips with it.

When I switched to Solidworks, (retraining internship) it didn't take me any longer to adapt to the basic functions.

1 Like

@nathalie_1:

For exchanges between Topsolid and Solidworks, parasolid is used rather than Step.

This is the core of the 2 softwares.

It's still dead solids, but it's a purely volumetric format

4 Likes

pascal: The problem is that we no longer have access to TopSolid (the designer is no longer there, and his workstation is accessed by VPN so the connection is much too slow and last point I don't know enough about the software) and the steps are already done because we give them to our suppliers for the production of our parts.

I agree that changing software is quickly a mess for the conversion and modification of files. I would advise to avoid it. 

That said, Solidworks is much more widespread and poses much less of a problem when communicating with customers/suppliers. 

1 Like

Hello

I think like the others, stay on Topsolid. But I think that before making a decision it would be wiser to take into account the price of the license, already Catia would be out of the race.