Which CAM software do you use?

Hello

I would like to have feedback on people who use CAM software ideally for SolidWorks and what do they think?

Currently I have only received two quotes between VisualCam and CAMWorks and the price difference is 1 for 3 which seems huge to me so it justified?

1 Like

Hello, I had the opportunity to use HSMWorks some time ago. What I remember is that it is very easy to use and extremely effective. Setting up tools, toolpath options and stock size is really simple. 

You can download a trial version or the express version that only allows 2 and 2.5-axis milling. But it already gives you an idea. As for the price, I have no idea.

2 Likes

Hello

I had the opportunity to choose 2 CAM software.

We chose to have a CAM separate from the CAD, because it is the miller who makes his program and manages his machine and his tools.

10/12 years ago we chose WorkNC without maintenance (so no evolution)

3 years ago we renewed the CAM and switched to Powermill.

Regarding the prices, you have to pay attention to the package. What is included in the price?

So you also have to see according to your needs.

If you choose a license with 5-axis machining, it will be much more expensive.

Depending on the publisher, you can have lighter versions, with a limited number of surfaces on the parts or courses not available in finishing.

You can also have variations on the remaining materials.

Are the post-pro(s) included in the offer?

S.B

4 Likes

Hello

in my former company I did  Cao lathe, milling, wire erosion. we had Topsolid and Topcam which for me was very good. There is also Delcam .
may the force be with you.

4 Likes

@OBI WAN,

Delcam is Powermill software.

They have been acquired and are now part of the Autodesk group.

1 Like

@s.b

Thank you for the info because now I'm no longer a machinist, I've changed jobs.

may the force be with you.

Hello

I also researched CAM software and so I tested and came across quite a few. Could you tell me what you expect from this software (autonomy, ergonomics, cost; optimization, etc...) in order to try to orient yourself as best as possible?

1 Like

Thank you Yves.T, s.bOBI WAN & ludo.mai for your feedback, what I am looking for above all is to save the cost of subcontracting for the realization of these programs:) 

In short, the need is as follows: A 3-Axis solution for the realization of fillet or smoothing type surfaces as integrated as possible in solidworks and which takes into account a non-prismatic Blank (Forging)

In software integrated with Solidworks, you will have SolidCAM, HSMworks or MasterCAM.

For your use, I'll go for HSM which is the cheapest (free if you take the 2.5axis milling and my memories are correct) but which will be less autonomous. No adaptation of the workpiece between the different machining phases. No real optimization of machining strategies. On the other hand, he does the job.

The most important thing will be to know if they have the right postprocessors for the machines in your workshop. Knowing that the new post-processors are added in dribs and drabs according to demand, unlike SolidCAM and MasterCAM which directly ruffle the adapted PP for you.

3 Likes

Hello Mathieu

Well, uh! What does this have to do with the question and the subject????

For the past few days we have been receiving spam emails with malicious links so it is better to look twice before clicking on links other than PRTs and ASMs

Hence my question!

Kind regards

2 Likes