Question autodesk autocad conversion format dwg

Hello

I have a quick question for inventor and autocad users.

A client asked me to provide them with plans in dwg format from several of their parts.

Not knowing autocad at all, I made the whole 3d on inventor,  made the plans in idw format and then exported them in dwg (so readable from autocad)

The problem is that the client also wanted to be able to process the document and modify the dimensions directly on the plan file, which is impossible when the plan was made from a 3d ...

To be able to close this deal, I am therefore forced to learn how to use autocad and to redo everything from scratch! A week and a half of work in the ass!

So if someone has a miracle solution to make a plan editable from an idw, it would be extremely useful to me!

Thank you in advance for your answers and have a good day!

Morgan

But I don't understand... When your customer wants modifiable odds, it's just a matter of changing the value of the odds...

Clearly, what he wants is to modify the text from the side and nothing else...

Why wouldn't it do it?

1 Like

Hello

I'm not an Inventor expert and even less an AutoCad expert, but for me  as soon as a drawing is saved in DWG or other, there is no longer a link to the 3D, so the plan can be modified under Autocad or Draftsight.

I repeat I'm not an Autodesk expert, so there may be an option that makes the DWG remain linked to the idw file and therefore oau 3d!

@+

1 Like

Hello

I use Autocad, as long as you import the plan into Autocad there is no more link.

If he can't modify the drawing or the dimensioning it must be a version problem.

check when converting to choose the correct version of Autocad

1 Like

Hello

Indeed the link disappears (I use both software), which seems normal to me because the idw depends only on the 3D model.

I can only think of one solution for your problem: let your customer tell you what changes he wants to make (by modifying the dimensions on the dwg, which is possible under the right versions of Autocad), then you modify your 3D assembly and the idw will be automatically modified. Then re-export to dwg until the final version.

Have a nice day.

Hello

The problem may also be that your customer thinks that changing the value of the quote on the . DWG will change the shape of the part while on autocad, you have to move the edges in order to see the dimension change automatically.

This is the opposite of 3D where changing the value of the price changes the part.

1 Like

I think my client wants to modify the plans (dimensions and drawing) but by opening the files on autocad, there are no links on the edges and the dimensions cannot be changed...

On the other hand, if I open it in inventor I can process everything!

I don't think it's a version problem, both are from 2010

Actually to be simpler, when I convert an idw to dwg, on autocad, the background of the plan is white and the part and dimensions are black.

I would have to be able to convert the idws so that I have a black background, and the dimensions in colors (yellow, red, green, ...) like when creating a dwg from autocad (which is like creating several layers I think; I don't know anything about autocad! )

Hello

I don't know Inventor but I gleaned >>>this<<< on the Internet

If I understood correctly, to be able to modify the data in Autocad, you would have to set the default DWG file type in Inventor instead of IDW.

On the other hand, you must need Autocad (full version) to work in 3D. This is because the LT version does not allow you to manipulate 3D entities.

Hoping I helped you...

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your answer, it confirms what I thought.

As said on wikihelp:

If you create data using Inventor in a DWG file, you can edit the data only with Inventor. If you create data using AutoCAD in a DWG file, you can edit the data only with AutoCAD

It is therefore impossible to process my files created from inventor on autocad ...

I'm good to start all over again! it's not great but at least I'm fixed...

Thank you  for all your answers!

Hello

For me it is unthinkable that Inventor cannot do DWG readable by Autocad, I did it with SolidWorks, colleagues do it with TopSolid or Pro/Eng, so I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible with Inventor.

I think you need to be able to "Export" to DWG in a way that really breaks the link with Inventor!

@+

1 Like

It also surprises me knowing that Inventor is an Autodesk product like Autocad !

Well yes the DWG created from Inventor is indeed workable in Autodesk but apparently, there is no way to make it processable ...

Hello

Just go to save as.

Choose: "save copy as".

Then it is imperative that you save your file in type *.dwg (but dwg autocad) because there are also dwg Inventor that you cannot use in Autocad. So choose AutoCAD DWGs.

There you go

1 Like

Hi Aurélien

Great, your technique, in fact I used to save as but not to "copy as" and it didn't put me in the autocad format.

I had found another trick otherwise, I had to open the dwg inventor and right-click on the leaf tab at the bottom and convert to an object. then you have to break up the whole and put the lines in color...

But your trick is even better now it works nikel thank you very much!