Realization of a trajectory on a cylindrical surface

Hello

I make several oblong grooves on the surface of a tube. I want to make them by milling.

I modeled what I want in the attached room. I do a material removal, volume sweeping, of a shape that is supposed to represent the strawberry.

The cutter is exactly the width of the  1st groove.

Now, from what I want in the end, I would have to make the first groove from a Ø2 cutter so smaller than my groove.

To do this, I need to plot the path of the cutter on a cylindrical surface. Is this possible? 

Part1.SLDPRT

Hello

I think the best is to make a sketch of the trajectory and represent it by a dividing line, see here:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/HIDD_DVE_PLINE.htm

For sketching, since the "offset entities" function is not usable for a 3D sketch, we can use this method:

"I just found a solution... it's empirical but it works  

I make a sketch offset in a plane perpendicular to my extrusion direction, then I use the curved function projected on a surface, so I project onto the surface. To finish I open a 3D sketch, convert my projection into a sketch and I extrude! 
Well, there are also simpler ones I think! But that's the only way I've found to shift a 3D sketch for the extruded." 

Spring:

http://www.forum-cao-3d.fr/solidworks-design-surfaces/decalage-esquisse-3d-t11204.html

1 Like

post a screenshot we don't all have the same version or the same log

if it is to do an extrusion or removal of material

which follows even if it is shifted an existing material elevation

Just create a profile sketch that snaps to the previous feature

@+;-)

That's the kind of thing you want to do

@+

Thank you .PL. I'm going to test your first solution that seems suitable to me. 

For gt22, I attach different screenshots.

pictures.zip
2 Likes

Hello

After testing PL's proposal, I still haven't found the solution.

This is  not what I am looking for.

I'm going to close the question by putting that "I solved my problem myself".

This is not the case but in my previous answer, I thought I had been clear enough in saying that PL's answer could "possibly" solve my problem and that it deserved to be tested.

I have already received too many reminders to close this question as if the solution had been found.

I'm disappointed with this misinterpretation of the words I used and also with this race to the point.

Good luck to all.

1 Like