Perform a complex finite element calculation

1. Hello

My question is both simple and its answer, I suppose, must be complicated.
I have to carry out a finite element calculation on a shelf made of volume and melamine laminated wood panel (non-isotropic material), where there is a reinforcement integrated into a groove in the shelf. This reinforcement is made of aluminum and there is "interference" between it and the shelf.

I would like to know how I can calculate the maximum deformation (and therefore the deflection) of my shelf, knowing that I have tried many times but never succeeded.
Thank you in advance for your answers,

(I have SolidWorks as software)

Paul

Hello

a small picture would be welcome....

Yves

Here is one solution among many. Seen from the side, we see the shelf as well as a fir tail profile + screws, as well as a cover but which is there just for aesthetics and is not included for the calculation.

Paul

solution_1.jpg

Hello

When you say I never got there after several tries, what exactly are the errors or messages given by SOlidWorks?

Have you cancelled your interference?

Have you specified the type of connection between your aluminum body and your board?

@+

Hello

For calculations that start with interferences, one should use a contact of types: Tight fit.

Personally, I doubt that the calculation will take place normally by inserting just this type of contact.

What I would personally do is simplify the model:

The screw in the middle of the insert by an axis or a form of revolution if you want to get as close as possible to the truth.

Then, I would do a calculation with the 2D simplification option with the Axisymmetric option, your rectangular shelf will then be replaced by a cylindrical shelf (it may not matter in this case), the disadvantage is that we will lose the notion of orthorical materials. 

Then apply the Tight Fit contact and apply mesh controls to the edges that will be in contact.

If you want to keep the notion of orthotropic materials, you have to stay in volume, but the calculations will take much longer.

Good luck

1 Like

@coyote: I did indeed cancel the interference and specify the type of connection between my body and my board but it still led me wrong.

@mickael.cordero: Thanks for the advice, I'll apply this as soon as possible to see if it works.

Hello

Another simple solution is to insulate your shelf. You sketch the contact surface on the contact plane,

then you do "Separation Lines" (Insertion/Curves/). All you have to do is add a flat support constraint thanks to the resulting side. If you have fixing screws, you make a bolted type constraint with a virtual plate on the resulting side.

Wilfried

Catia a module to calculate composites according to my teachers it is not super accurate (about 20%)

I've never used it for the moment but we've heard a lot about it

Do you want me to show you the method by video??

@c_hamzaya: Gladly, if you don't mind.