Resizing Sketches in a Single Dimension

Hi all

I'm desperately trying to resize a sketch... Let me explain!

I bought a DXF, on the internet, of a pattern that I want to laser cut. My pattern has a certain size, to which I can give a scale value to make it bigger or smaller on X and on Y, in proportion to my original pattern.

My problem is that I want to change the aspect ratio and I can't find how to do this operation which seems basic to me. Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Julian

Hello Julien, 

Indeed it's a dxf, if the modeler has provided parametric dimensions then it will be editable in autocad, DraftSight or similar,

For solidworks try to:

1. Open solidworks, 
  2. Browse to the DXF (check extension). 
  3. Import the dxf as a sketch. 
  4. Create a block. 
  5. By clicking on the block a proportional resizing option appears in the manager property,
  6. Export again to dxf. 

Also possible with an extrusion boss for example and then insertion > function > scale, (xyz factor) 

1 Like

Good evening @jmoerman.cmt ,

A geometric transformation that is less trivial than it seems: circles become ellipses, squares become parallelograms or diamonds, angles are not preserved.
I don't see an immediate solution with SolidWorks, but...

A simple proposal:
1- Import your DXF as a SolidWorks sketch into a part
2- Place the sketch in the plane of the view (screen) and then orient this view so as to have the desired reduction, by rotating around y for a reduction following x (or around x for a reduction following y). The construction of an annex plan allows for precise orientation
3- Save in DXF format by checking the "In progress" box in the "Views to export" area.

The alfa angle of orientation of the view must be verified cos(alfa) = k where k is the coefficient of reduction in the desired direction (k < 1).

The method answers the question with the disadvantage of replacing curved entities (circles, ellipses, splines, etc.) with series of segments. The geometric rigor loses, but it is perhaps enough for the cutting of a decorative element.

Kind regards.

affinite_dxf.png
2 Likes

Hello and thank you to both of you who answered me.

In the meantime, I continued to search a little and found THE solution I was looking for.

I imported my DXF as a 2D sketch into a part and then gave it a thickness by making it a base sheet metal (Sheet Metal module)

Once transformed into a volume, there is a "Scale" function that can be found in "Insert\Function\Scale" and that allows you to stretch your 3D to the proportions you want via scale factors that can be different on X, Y and Z.

Basically, I was trying to do the operation from the sketch when you have to go a little further and do it on the volume part!

Problem solved!

2 Likes

On the other hand, to put solved it's not in the title with [Solved] but under the best answer you have to click on the link "this answer solved my problem" or something like that, I don't remember the exact wording.

So this is your last answer.

3 Likes