Straightening a stem made from a scatter plot

Hello

in Solidworks I have a rod that was made via a point cloud and for the needs of the process I have to straighten it (as is the stock) to extract the marking coordinates because it is done before the bending of the rod.

I don't know how to do that.

Thank you

Hello

It all depends on the quality of the stem once transformed into a part and the number of bends in several directions.
Personally, I would go through a 3D spline located instead of the neutral fiber. It is quite easy to side the position of the neutral fiber. Once the spline has been converted into a trajectory, we instantly know the dimension between the end of the bar and the position of the marking.
The accuracy depends on the violence of the elbows, if it is a spaghetti shape without a violent elbow the method I propose works very well.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello, thank you for the answer, it is indeed a fairly gentle curvature. What you propose will allow me to keep all the components of this object? (Diameters, markings and chamfering). Or is it simply a reading of the coast?

Hello @bengous

As long as we don't see an image of the play and especially an image of the tree of creation, we can't say anything serious. If the part is perfect or if it is poorly built with poorly stitched surfaces for example (stitch clouds originally)
Post images or the piece.

The technique I propose is in a 3D sketch so it doesn't touch the initial design at all.

Kind regards

PS: you're talking about components of this object, I'd rather talk about functions but hey ;-)

@tous
if you have a technique to dimension a spline3D  directly without going through a trajectory, it would be very useful in this case. I have another technique but it depends on the degree of precision sought for the length of the line and the nature of the curves (here reputed to be soft)

The docs are confidential so I can't.
I was able to get a quote from the spline, which is much more convenient in my case.

Thanks for unblocking me!