Golden rule of separating file parts

Hello

Linking to a previous post I just created about the names of the shares, I would also like to understand the links between the parts and the assemblies that can be created during registration.

As examples, I have already encountered the following problem: 
To be able to keep a version of an assembly at different phases of construction, I worked on an assembly ASSEMBLAGE2. CatProduct that I created by a copy (Ctrl C/ Ctrl V) of a ASSEMBLAGE1 assembly . CatProduct in Windows Explorer. On the other hand, after modifying my ASSEMBLAGE2, I noticed that my ASSEMBLAGE1 had also reflected the changes made on the ASSEMBLAGE2

Question:

Speaking of these links between parts or assemblies that can be made during registration, how can we create a copy of an independent assembly (i.e. one that is not modified if we modify the original assembly)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

When you modify a part, this change affects all assemblies where that part is used.

1 Like

When iterating on your assembly, don't forget to pass your parts by a hint as well, which, if you don't increment them, will be common in both assemblies.

I would therefore advise you to prefer the recording through the records manager under CATIA rather than using the windows explorer which depending on the case could also bring you errors to find the links of the parts or subassemblies if you rename them on the fly.

1 Like

When starting with CATIA , it is better to forget about copying and pasting on Windows.

As @Fréderic wrote, when a part is modified, it is automatically modified in the assemblies where it is used.

The CATProduct is only a link pointer file (no geometry).
When you want to keep a version, it's better to use the recording manager As @BBpoulet wrote:

Several methods:

1)    File / Records Management / (Check Independent Records).
We select what we want to version (Product or parts):
/ save as / select the save location / change the version index in the file name (letter or number) 
We repeat this manip on each file we want to version, then OK.
Be careful before applying, check that you are not mistaken, look at the columns 
Status / Path (save location) / Action (what CATIA will do after clicking OK)

Alternative (independent record box not checked) Tjrs under the record manager We select the Product / save as (directory selection) then before doing OK selection of the directory propagation tab.

Rq: Creates a folder copy of the assembly and everything in it. Practical but disadvantage we also copy the standard components such as screws etc and parts that cannot be modified, moreover the files have the same names, it is the name of the directory that identifies the version.

1)    Before changes 
File/Send To/ Directory.
In the list we select:
"Everything" or you can of course select only what is necessary but be careful with the remaining links to the source directory (e.g. you destroy or rename the source folder)
(same remark as for directory propagation)

2 Likes

Hello

I have a 4-prong mechanism. A branch is an assembly with parts. On the other hand, I would like to be able to change the settings of my branches independently of each other.

I'm trying to do the manipulation you told me, namely:

1)    File / Records Management / (Check Independent Records).
We select what we want to version (Product or parts):
/ save as / select the save location / change the version index in the file name (letter or number) 
We repeat this manip on each file we want to version, then OK.
Be careful before applying, check that you are not mistaken, look at the columns 
Status / Path (save location) / Action (what CATIA will do after clicking OK)

So I had it recorded under by checking "independent recording" of my assembly. I was able to create an assembly for a branch 2. On the other hand, all the shares within my branch 2 are the same as those in my branch 1.

In other words, I did

Branch 1:                         Branch 2:
- Part 1                               - Part 1
- Part 2                               - Part 2

And I would rather obtain the following result (i.e. have different shares for branch 2):
- Part 1.1                               - Part 2.1
- Part 1.2                               - Part 2.2

Basically, I think I have to do the thing you told me (save as with independent copy) for each part of my branch1. On the other hand, after how do I go about the assembly, knowing that the Branch2 assembly points to parts 2.1 and 2.2?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Good evening:

Dixit:

I would rather obtain the following result (i.e. have different shares for branch 2):
- Part 1.1                               - Part 2.1
- Part 1.2                               - Part 2.2

From what you write you have an assembly:

"Branch 1" which contains (a room 1 and this version N+1)?

"Branch 2" which contains (one room 2 and this version N+1)?

I think what you want is rather:

"Branch 1" which contains (Exhibit 1  version 1 ; Exhibit 2  version 1) .

"Branch 2" which contains (Exhibit 1  version 2 ; exhibit 2  version 2).

If I just

You open the Branch 1 product

Records Management (Independent)

You select Part 1 / then save under new name "Part 1-1" (-1 first version - it's better than .)

You select Part 2 / then save under new name "Part 2-1"

Then OK.

To check (Edit / link / documents pointed).

To create Branch 2

Re Records Management (Independent)

You select Branch 1 / then save under new name "Branch 2"

You select Part 1-1 / then save under new name "Part 1-2"

You select Part 2-1 / then save under new name "Part 2-2"

Then OK.

To check (Edit / link / documents pointed).

We can stop there but for my part I open the parts and assemblies to modify the "document" properties of each file.

Version number and version commentary.

1 Like

Hello

But who has the right solution??????????

Open questions but why???????