Replace SW File icon with a thumbnail

For some time now, the thumbnail that appeared in the SW file icons has disappeared and is replaced by the SW logo (red die with S W in white).

The thumbnail option in Option is checked..... And I find it quite annoying to open each file to find the right one...

Thank you for your help.

Restart your PC.

Have you installed a new version of SW?

1 Like
Hello, a forum that talks about it with several solutions (including a .bat file to launch):

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/59283

@.pl according to your link the bat does not work and orient more on an eDrawing problem which will modify the display of icons in the explorer

edit: after reading the bat file (right click edit) you have to indicate the location of the file sldwinshellextu.dll by modifying the access path with the notepad.

On windows do a search for the location of the offending file "sldwinshellextu.dll" copy its link (at home it is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared) 

and then execute it

setting_solidworks_thumbnails.bat
3 Likes

I found the file.... I even have 2  of them in a SolidWorks Shared folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files. the sizes of the 2 files are different (163KB and 205KB)

I'm not very good at computers....

There is one in x86 program c i.e. compatible 32 bit

This is the case when you have a pro version of seven. take the one that's in programe file not in programe file x86

Under windows 7, I solved this PB by unchecking "always show icons, never thumbnails".

if it helps.

2 Likes

Thank you Mathieu, This is one of the first things I tried without success.

As nothing works, I will uninstall SW 2014 to reinstall it; it won't be worse