Make the versions waterproof

Hello

To change a major version, I usually create a new directory and load the old version via "pack and go" to the new directory.

As in this case it is a prototype version, I don't want the definitive parts of this prototype to update the parts of other versions that are in other repertoire.

All parts, sub/asm and ASM of this prototype version will be renamed in the new folder as the version progresses and the MEP that will follow.

Question : how can I be sure that any modification in another version does not come to put me in the souk in this version.

What scratches my head is this story of external links to break or not. (I've never used it and I'm not sure what it's all about)

I indicate that I never open an old version at the same time as a new one, otherwise if I modify a part that has the same name in both versions it updates.

Well a little clarification and advice would be welcome

Thank you in advance ;-)

Kind regards

Hello, by saving the pack and go in independent folders (e.g. V1 - ASM + PART / V2 - ASM + part / V3 ...

Solidworks will search for the shortest path files, so each COMPLETE pack and go will only be from the folder where it is located.

2 Likes

To be sure not to change another version, shouldn't we add a "-temp" suffix for example with the pack and go the time to validate this new version?

Your method seems quite risky to me, all it takes is someone who doesn't pay attention and it's a tragedy!

Otherwise the links work well with the pack and go, they cling well to the new assembly, but with the same risk since a simple opening of the wrong assembly makes it cling to the old one for example.

For this kind of modification I added the suffix to the name of the part "-temp" then when validating the prototype I renamed the current one to -old and I deleted with pack and go the -temp.

Or else now we clue (it's simpler!)

2 Likes

@Sbadenis
Thank you that's what I feared if I opened an old version without a suffix.

The index seems to me to be the right solution  that I used for backups. 
'However, I hadn't figured out how to get rid of the clue afterwards.

I'll look at how to do it otherwise I'll ask the hot line

thank you for your help

1 Like

At the time I was using the Projectmanger tool from Visiativ but under Pack and go they added this improvement.

To remove the suffix (example version 2018):

Press SSelect/Replace

Type the text to be modified here NEW (as a suffix but same thing for a prefix)

Type the text with which to replace here nothing

and replace everything.

There you go!

2 Likes

@Sbadenis

Indeed I didn't think of replacing the prefix with "nothing" because in my case the prefix is more practical. I'd also try it with the suffix ;-)

Thank you very much for your help , it will save me misfortunes.

I think I'm going to subscribe to this forum which responds well to requests!

Kind regards

1 Like