Rename in bulk

Hello, small problem on Solidworks I have an assembly with several hundred parts and in this assembly each file name contains a project name, but this one is wrong. Is there a solution to change it automatically on all files, without having an error in the links and references ect.

Thank you all!

1 Like

Hello, you should use the "take-away composition" function which is found in file/take-away composition.

(Of course, in case there are several hundred pieces, copy/paste would be an additional help!)

And from there; You can rename your files as you see fit, without breaking the references.

See attached photo

Good luck!

+1 for Benoit, the option to rename may be interesting for this case =)

compo.png
3 Likes

As @ Bart says: "Takeaway composition".

Remember to select the first option "Include drawings"

On the other hand, to change a string, go to the "Select/Replace" button and do as follows:

_dans the drop-down menu select "Save as name", it is selected by default normally.

_dans the "with" field, write the string to replace

_sélectionnez below "Replace with text with:"

_dans the field next to it, enter the new string.

_cliquez on "Replace All"

Files that are going to change their name will change to green.

All you have to do is click on save at the bottom right and your entire tree structure will be copied!

5 Likes

To complete,

If you want to copy only the parts related to your project without having to uncheck the others by hand, deselect everything (first check at the top of the first column) and go back to "Select/Replace" again and do as I did:

_dans the drop-down menu select "Save as name", it is selected by default normally.

_dans the "with" field, write the string of your project

_sélectionnez below "Select items"

_cliquez on "Enable All"

3 Likes

Hello

The problem with the take-home compositions is that it also grabs the files from the library and I have to uncheck them one by one...

If there was an option "Exclude a folder"...

Thank you!

1 Like

I think we wrote @BATCH123 at the same time! : see my 2nd answer!

The best choice is the Axemble utility: PROJECT MANAGER.

With this utility you can exclude the renaming of one or more directories (e.g. the library), you can rename all or part of the file.

project_manager.jpg
3 Likes

@flegendre:

Project manager is very efficient but has a disadvantage when it comes to the take-home composition: it is paid.

The take-home composition may not be as easy to use but is integrated into SW as standard.

Yes @flegendre, but as @pascal says, think a little about those who unfortunately HAVE TO LIVE WITHOUT this excellent set of tools that is MyCADTools...

It is true that I have always been used to living in luxury!!!!

Now if the need comes up often, the investment may be worth it .

3 Likes

Hello

@pascal and @benoit, OK ProjectManager is indeed paid but if the handling is recurrent and if each time you have to spend X minutes (or hours) to convert files, rename designs, duplicate projects by changing only a few file names etc, etc, you have to weigh the time spent manually and the time saved by using powerful tools.

Kind regards

3 Likes

I don't question the interest of these tools because I have been able to use them for years with full satisfaction, but for the operation requested, the Takeaway Composition is an excellent tool, certainly less intuitive, but very complete.

Once again, @jmsavoyat, I regret not having access to the MyCADtools suite anymore, but when you arrive in a company whose reseller is not Axemble, to say that you should look for MyCADtools solutions seems incongruous to those who have never tested it in the long term!!

2 Likes

What is the price of project manager?

And does it allow you to include only files from one or more specific directories? And does it keep the link for the files in the other directories? (library for example).

Basically, you should keep the links to the library, and copy the project files + rename part of the name (project name in the file name), automatically.

Thank you to all of you;)

http://www.lynkoa.com/store/fr/tools-et-macros/utilitaire-projectmanager-855.html

69.99€

The whole mycadtools suite is in the 300€ annual range, 

To modify the files manually (for example I have an assembly of more than 2000 parts) a week for one person costs 1500€.

so between 300€ for 10 min and 1500€ (charge included) the week I made my choice lol

1 Like

Hello

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/renommer-facilement-les-dossiers-%C2%AB-article-liste-des-pieces-soudees-%C2%BB-dans-solidworks

I found this tutorial, maybe it can help you.

Cdt

Eric

Check out these pages, it will give you a more precise idea:

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/composition-%C3%A0-emporter

http://www.lynkoa.com/store/fr/tutos-formations/tutos/utilitaires-projectmanager.html

I don't question the effectiveness of the tool, either.

I use it almost daily and am happy with it.

I just deplore the fact that it is presented as the ultimate solution without specifying that it is paid while a tool integrated into SW allows you to carry out the manipulation.

I personally have the habit of first looking at the tools integrated into the software before going to look at the external utilities.

Batch does not specify if this problem is recurrent or if it is a "one shot".

In the case of a temporary problem that is unlikely to recur, the investment calculation is a little different.

It is therefore missing some details on the frequency of the problem and some information on the proposed tool was missing.

friendly

Paschal

2 Likes

I would have this problem 7 or 8 times a year max.

@http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/renommer-facilement-les-dossiers-%C2%AB-article-liste-des-pieces-soudees-%C2%BB-dans-solidworks

It's for welded parts lists, right?

@+ Thanks again!

@BATCH123!

Now I think it's up to you to judge whether or not it's necessary to switch to Project Manager or if Composition to Go meets your needs. Many of the arguments for and against have been raised.

In any case, you know how to find us subjects of disagreement: Composition to take away yesterday, last week, the depths of the taps. We're not going to keep up with this pace... ;-) But if you have others, don't hesitate, it puts animation...

Come on, have a good weekend.

1 Like