Repair, Assignment, and Solidworks Icon in Windows

I have a problem on a PC with this, the icon is too ugly, I have to correct it.

I tried "System Options / Explorer / re-assigned"

But it didn't work too well in my case.

I had re-associated by Windows (open with, default program choice) Sldworks.exe

then I corrected it by taking "SwShell launcher"

The files open well, but the right-click menu on a file is not the right one it seems.

I have a clue in the regedit.

Could (Windows 7) if it has a clean install, with the good yellow PRT icons for example

(I'm not talking about the real thumbnail images that make Windows lag)

go to Regedit.exe, then:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\

then on each of the next 3 folders, right click, export (save it to a temporary place)

Files concerned:

.sldprt

.sldasm

.slddrw

then once these 3 reg files are created, close Regedit.

go to these 3 files, right click "edit", it opens in Notepad.

then make a simple copy-paste in the forum.

(or else attach the 3 reg files)

Sorry Olivier42, I have the real thumbnail images that make Windows lag!!

Kind regards

1 Like

Personally, I would start by trying a repair of the SW installation.

I don't have the files to repair (no DVD, no USB key) and I had deleted the DL files to save hard space (12 GB of recovery).

But my goal is not to re-install, I would like to avoid. And don't lose my "SW System Options" settings or others...

I still succeeded, by comparing the registry with another PC that was good.

of course you have to be careful with what you do in the registry (path name, application identification, and Windows code, etc...)

but I succeeded.

FYI I went tinkering in these places, maybe only one was necessary, but I didn't go by trial and error, but like an "orderly goret" let's say.

And to clean up, don't forget to manually delete some keys or folders in the registry, because yes import/export *.reg files don't do any deletions, just add or modify, and of course make backups in case of problems, to go back.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sldprt

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sldasm

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.slddrw

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sldprt

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SldPart.Document

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SldAssem.Document

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SldDraw.Document

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\. SLDPRT

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\. SLDASM

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\. SLDDRW

Result see capture, I have only done PRT for the moment! It works without repair or re-installation!

capture2.png
1 Like

FYI, this problem occurred with an SP update (from SW, Edrawing, Explorer, etc...)

Edrawing had "taken" some files for himself (oh the ugly program...)

And when you want to re-assign by Windows, right-click, choose program, Shell launcher SW, with the "default" checkmark ,

it made a mess... (boo the ugly red icons...)

EDIT: What is a shame is that the function in "System Options / Explorer / Redo Associating Files" of SW does not seem to have worked, or repaired this...

1 Like

the beautiful yellow icons...

capture2.png