Circular repeating holes/holes

Hello,

I still fight on my model with my "half sphere", and I now have to make 14x128 holes/holes all around the sphere, so I would like to know how to go about it to avoid repeating the operation 1792 times by hand:)

Already 1st obstacle, I don't know how to draw a circle on my sphere, if I do it on a vertical plane the drilling will not have the right angle.

So I took a look at the drilling function, in assisted mode it allowed me to select a face and get this: 

I have the impression that they are tangential to the sphere, so that's pretty good, on the other hand, I haven't found a way to repeat this hole neither to make the 14 lines in height, nor to make the 128 columns all around the sphere... When I try a linear repetition it repeats the drilling, but it keeps the same axis and therefore is no longer tangent to the sphere.

If anyone has an idea, thank you in advance:)

In fact, I just saw that I wasn't checking the right thing in circular repetition. So I found how to make my 128 columns, I still have to find how to make the 14 lines.

1 Like

Hello

For me, the 14 lines have to be done manually as for the first drilling. The rest is done by the circular repetition function that you have already made, it is enough to add the new holes.

Have a nice day

1 Like

Unfortunately for you, I think @Rim-b is right. Because of the shape of your part (non-flat surface), you will have to drill the holes by hand on the height.

Or so. But that's just an idea I've never tested.

You create your hole with the "hole" function.

You create a cutting plane A that goes through this hole 

You use this section plane A and you ask it to make a projection of the face of your part (via "convert entities"). This will make you a construction line following the contours of your piece. (below or above your 1st hole)

Then enter your repetition function by a curve

And there you go, I think it should do it like this (you'll tell me if it works, I'm curious to know so but I'm too lazy to make a piece on purpose to ^^)

1 Like
Hello, we can try to make a curve and then a repetition driven by a curve. See here:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/Curve_Driven_Pattern_Overview.htm

If it's a sphere, why not do a vertical circular repetition to have the 14 lines, and then a horizontal circular repetition for the 128 colones?

3 Likes

Hello

Something like that?

Edit: As proposed in the meantime by @Frédéric! Sorry.

Part1.SLDPRT
3 Likes

Absolutely, Benoit!

2 Likes

@benoit and @frédéric, I have the impression that his piece looks more like a "potato" than a cylinder.

So, doesn't it complicate things a bit to do a vertical circular repetition? I mean to find the axis of revolution, keep the tangency, etc.

After all, it's true that if it's a perfect sphere with a well-defined axis, it's definitely the easiest!

3 Likes

If it's potatoid, it's sure that it's not the solution!

@coin37coin, if you look at the outline of the revolution, the volume is not a sphere, the center of the circle is not coinciding with the axis of revolution. So I remade a remote axis for the vertical circular repeat.

2 Likes

Hello

If you are in SolidWorks 2015, you can use the notion of "occurrence to vary" in the repetition functions. Basically, it allows you to drive both a repetition and a variation of a sketch parameter.

See attached example.

@+

3-_colander.sldprt

See this tutorial among others

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/les-repetitions-avec-solidworks-avril-2015

depending on the angle requested for the holes

Several solutions are possible

See this tutorial to create plans on an egg

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/creation-de-plans-sur-un-oeuf-avec-solidworks

Maybe it's enough to create 14 planes and do a repetition of 128 holes

See also these tutorials

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/les-repetitions-sous-solidworks

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/solidworks-et-les-repetitions-avec-arrete-circulaire-juillet-2014

@+ ;-))

Well I don't know how you do the circular repetition, but I don't think :(

When I set up the circular repeat, it doesn't let me choose the arc of the circle alone, I have to take the complete sketch (in blue). On the other hand, I can select the outline of my shape (orange), which makes me fall back on the 1st repetition.

Benoit, I see that you used an axis for your circular repetition, but I didn't really understand how to know where I should trace it/in which direction, in fact I don't really see its usefulness since it seems to be perpendicular to the piercing, and that it doesn't have the direction of the repetition.

for fun ;-)

also works on patatoid shapes since I create plans to sketch the ref holes

see attached file SW 2012

@+ ;-))

piece_repetition_circulaire_avec_trou_progressif.sldprt
3 Likes

@gt22, is your nightclub light ball nice^^

2 Likes

@Coin37Coin yes I had a bit of fun answering the problem poses

and as the diameter of the holes overlapped in the upper part of the sphere

I have opted to make progressive holes to refined for whoever wants it ;-)

Have a good day and thank you

@+;-))

1 Like

To answer @liohau's questions,

In circular patterns, "Pattern axis" box, you can select axes, temporary axes, linear edges, circular edge, sketch line, sketch circle, cylinders,...

In the example provided, I used a reference axis for the first repetition (axis obtained by projecting the center of the circle of my sketch onto the face plane) and in the second I took a temporary axis (View/Temporary axes).

Is your base volume a dead body, or is it a reviolution function?

@gt22 what's the difference between your multiple vertical extrusions that you had to do an axis for, and the drill tool that looks like it does for me?

@Coyote with your solution the holes all follow the same axis and therefore the hole is not perpendicular (I don't even know if that's the right word?) to the sphere.

1 Like

The advantage of making my axis with plane perpendicular to this axis

and these are not material removals on a vertical plane sketch base far from the center 

is that I can make a function on any form via this offset plane

so in my opinion it's relevant knowing that your shape is not that smooth  

And which of + is the possibility to play with sides and angles in all directions and the shape of my removal of matter which can be stars for example ;-)

@+ ;-)

I still have a preference for Benoit's solution which had the advantage of not making me repeat my 14 lines.

2 Likes