Repetition according to curve without "normal to the curve"

Hello
I'm on SolidWorks 2017.

I have a tube with a shape of some kind, and I want to carry out material removal by scanning around the neutral fiber at regular intervals. However, this is only possible if the function follows the curve, not if it remains parallel.
To remedy this, we are supposed to use "offset curve" and "tangent to the curve", but in this case we need to specify a "normal to the face" (which is shown via the cylinder inscribed in a helical in many examples). In my case I don't have one, what should I do?

1 Like

Hello

Can you send something that can help us better visualize what you're asking for? 

We can't necessarily see well, but the curve is good on three dimensions, it's a spline with rather random points. 
I want to repeat the removal according to the direction of the neutral fiber.

capture1.png

Hello i.crequer

Just that we agree on the words.

The neutral fiber and the fiber of the tube, i.e. the center of the tube. That's it O/N

Is the material removal unclogging towards the center of the tube  or is it blind???   In the first case it's laser cutting, in the second it's removal by milling (although unlikely given the shape of the bent tube ;-)  )

Is the removal done before bending the tube or after?

Would the removal you want to do be comparable (although very different) to portions of threads if you were doing an external thread?

Can you post your piece it will be simpler AMHA because your images are moderately understandable for me

At first reading, I wouldn't do it like that, I would use the winding function if the material removals are opening into the tube. I have an example if you want.

Kind regards

1 Like

So if I understood your problem correctly:

Normally you always have the curve that you used as a sketch to create your cable. Try to create a first removal of material around your neutral fiber and then you can use the "curve-driven  repetition" function

This will allow you to repeat your material removal on a regular basis while following your curve:)

Tell me if it works or if I was wrong;)

capture.png
3 Likes

Thank you for your answers. 
Indeed, it is comparable to portions of nets, but parallel, without helicoids. The neutral fiber is indeed the "center" of the tube. The removal of material is obtained by revolution around this neutral fiber.

The repetition driven by a curve is precisely inefficient, it does not follow the curve as I would like it to.
A single configuration gives a result, and that's not what I'm looking for. I would like the shape on the top to follow the curve, not stay parallel. Is it clearer?
It seems that the "normal to the face" is usable, but in my case, it doesn't seem to me that this normal face exists.
Thank you again for your quick response!

1 Like

If you want to make sure to model a ringed tube

If that's the case, we have to do things differently

not easy to do repettes following a spline under SW 2017

Create your right ring tube

and via the deform tool resume your 3D sketch

See attached image

@+ ;-)

3 Likes

What if you tick tangent to the curve?

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!
I will tell you about my success or failure at the beginning of next week.
Thank you again!

1 Like

Good evening @ i.crequer

It all depends on the precision in the shape of the tube.

By precision I mean is you want to do machining once the tube has been shaped: then it requires a formidable precision. On the other hand, if you machine your material removal before the bending of your tube then you have a solution.

But maybe my colleagues will give you another solution.

Let me explain myself and what I propose

Because of a straight cylinder (your tube delivered by your supplier), then a winding with material removal; Then you use the flex function to bend your tube with the shape you want.

Kind regards

1 Like

@@ i.crequer

What solution do you finally choose for your tests.    ;-)

1 Like

@ Zozo

it's an annelle tube that he wants

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Good!

I had read this (removal of material by sweeping around the neutral fiber at regular intervals. )

Indeed your proposal is the right one. I misunderstood the statement but you: you're fortuitous, you understood everything. ;-)   ;-) ;-)

1 Like

Yes but a ringed tube has in theory no sharp edge to see in the next message ;-)

@+

1 Like

Thank you again, I managed to do it thanks to your advice!
That being said, depending on the 3D sketches used, I very regularly get the error message "A surface that intersects could not be created", and I can't understand where it comes from, or how to set it, by geometry or by parameters of the "Warp" function. 

yes it's quite normal if you crawl 

that is to say that the piece interpenetrates (the bosses touch each other)

In general it's that your bending radius is too small 

therefore enlarge the bending radii

which moreover depends also on how you created the part to be deformed

look at this picture the flanks of the bosses are not // this is also due to my basic sketch and these constraints

The rings are wider in outer fiber than in inner fiber

Solidworks doesn't like to bend a pleated tube

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Hello

If you use the FLEXION function as I suggested, you won't have this problem. With the bending function you can even simulate the deformation of a silent block.

See the tutorial I did a few years ago on the subject.

Kind regards

PS: @gt22 thank you for correcting the pleated tube spelling  typo ;-) ;-)

2 Likes

I lost an L along the way sorry 

error fixed thank you