.obj reproduction with ScanTo3D

Hello

Do you think it is possible to redo this part/shell (which is a .obj for now) with ScanTo3D? Once again I don't really see where to start.

I tried to cut in half, telling myself that it would be easier to do only one side, then a symmetry, but it doesn't necessarily inspire me more. :

Or does it seem easier to do the complete shape (the 2 sides) from the beginning with a smoothing? For the bottom curve it's simple, the curves to follow for the height I should do too, but for the top, I imagine that it will force me to cut a piece of the mesh to get the curve at the top of the smoothing (because a "closed" smoothing at one end I don't think it exists, yes?) ?

Hello, I think you should use the surface module rather than a smoothing. It will be much simpler.

See the smoothed surfaces:

.https://youtu.be/EwsU_adRaeQ

Hello

If I had to do it, I would do it in full, not because it's simpler, but you will be able to more easily keep the continuity of the faces in the plane of symmetry, when you work in symmetry, despite the continuity in tangency of the faces, you often keep an edge in the plane and I think that this is not necessarily the result you expect.

I'd do it like this in your case:

- Once you have opened the point cloud with the Scanto3D add-in

- You can go through the mesh preparation step if you need to move it, repair it, simplify it....)

- Then, I don't use the automatic creation of a surface whose result is too random, I right-click on the mesh and I use the curve wizard.

- I create curves according to several sections (to be defined according to the accuracy of the reproduction you need), in fact they are like intersection curves, but between a mesh and planes.

- Once the curves are created, go to surface with the smoothing or the border (you may have to create a 3D sketch point at the end of each shape)

You have a little work so good luck

Mick

So I kept the complete shape and I got the following curves:

Then I made a striped surface, you can see that it sticks more or less to the mesh in dessours (red)

But in the end it's not quite smooth, when I select the edge of the surface (bottom right) you can see that it's not very regular. I'm going to try again with vertical guide curves and only 2 horizontal guide curves

And for the cap at the top, what do I do? A border surface?

For the end of the shape, you can fill in the surface, but to be closer to reality, I advise you to create a 3D sketch point and use it in your smoothing, by adjusting the tangens you will be able to get closer to the initial shape.

Mick

I've heard a lot of people talk about this tangiance thing but I've never paid too much attention to how it works, where do we see that?

In the example below, I make a smoothing between a point and several profiles, so that my smoothing does not end in a point, I apply a normal starting constraint to the profile and I apply a tangency length:

A+

Mick

Well I was almost done redoing the curves for the 3rd time, and the mesh disappeared again and no way to make it appear again. It seems to be a known SW bug, but no way to find a solution that works...

So, is there a way to transfer all my sketches/plan/points to another .sdlprt in which I would have put the mesh? Or is there a way to add a .obj to an existing room?

When you say you don't have your mesh anymore, what exactly happens?

Is your Scanto3D add-in activated when you try to show it?

If not, can you attach your file?

Finally I was able to add the same mesh again in the part being edited, and I managed to put its origin back in more or less the same place (so I deleted the one that was no longer displayed).

Anyway, I managed to get this result which overlaps quite a bit with my original mesh (which wasn't perfect anyway):

But I think there are a lot of faces. If I understand correctly, each sketch or sketch point generates a new face for me. I have selected a few edges so that we can see clearly:

Isn't there a way to make all this more regular? In the boundary surface function (I use this rather than smoothing) there is a "merge tangent faces" checkbox, which I checked, but it doesn't change anything. It looks like it's the arcs and intersections of my sketches that need to be smoothed out, but I don't see how to do that.