Step solution

Hello

I would like to know the resolution (0.001mm?) of a STEP file, and if it is configurable.

Thank you in advance.

Hello

The theoretical resolution of a STEP file does not make much sense since it is above all an unambiguous exchange format, which is what the acronym STandard for Exchange of Product model data denotes .

As a result, the file itself neutrally conveys the dimensional tolerance that you indicated in your original CAD file.

However, you shouldn't get too caught up in this, since it is the precision or the possibility of precision of the machine that will define the accuracy of the finished part.

So for laser you will not be able to guarantee an H7 bore and even less a hundredth center distance with a fine dimension. For everything that is 3D printing it's worse since in the best case it's 1/10th and even more so on all the dimensions of the geometry.

In other words, if you are looking for an accuracy of the order of a hundredth, you have to think of machine rework by material removal. On the other hand, for CNC machines, it's a different story because there will be an interface software between your STEP file and the machine control software which generally uses a file format specific to the machine.
Since the STEP file is considered neutral, if your dimension is set correctly in the original CAD file, it will be transmitted to the machine as is.
After that, it's all the art of the machinist who will rely on a MEP anyway to guarantee you the rating according to what he knows about his machine.

Kind regards

4 Likes

Hello

This does not concern a manufacture but an exchange to another software that could generate collisions that are certainly small, but annoying.

Kind regards

Hello@fthereze

What you say does not change anything about what I told you earlier.

STEP is a neutral format: so if you have defined a bore or a dimension chain in A in your 3D CAD, you will find them in the B software.

By the way, you will have to tell us how you can see that there are tiny collisions in software B.

The minute collisions (what values and on how many sides ????) if there were to be any, can only be appreciated if in the receiving software, it reproduces all the dimensions and that, in addition, it is able to detect the collisions and quantify them as SolidWorks does very well.

A simple fear without concrete and indisputable elements cannot be resolved. Personally, I never play the lotto because I'm afraid of winning.

More seriously:
Software like SolidWorks meets all the most sophisticated criteria to manufacture the most accurate parts in the world.

Which leads me to say that the global industrial standards for manufacturing or file exchange in your case are not Voodoo.

Kind regards

PS: you do not give any information about the software that will receive and use the STEP file.