Saving under mesg drawing error

Hello everyone, I'm currently following a tutorial on how to make a drawing template when I try to  save the basemap (command under file) I receive an error mesg and the software stops.

I have  authorized  the directory in question in read/write sharing on windows.

And I still get the same error msg.i you could help me, I'm stuck

Hello

For your custom basemaps you should create a specific directory and you will need to save them in the .slddrw format 

1 Like

Hello

Check if you have the right to register in this file, because some computer scientists like us, do not give access to the main file

But I join @Ac cobra 427 for the proposal to create a directory in another place

Have a nice day

Allowing  the directory in question to be shared read/write on Windows does not necessarily override basic Windows permissions.

It's clear that using a folder dedicated to your custom files is a first thing to do, it avoids forgetting to save them in case of formatting and it's easier in case of machine transfer. You just have to think about changing the path in the system options / file location (there are 2-3 sections to modify).

@AC COBRA: the slddrw is the drawing file of a part/asm, the background plan (slddrt) is "the cartridge" (to put it simply), the slddrt is complementary to the drwdot which is the drawing model. The drwdot defines the document options (important when you have specific needs such as double dimensioning, etc.) and also implicitly contains the slddrt which is the visual part. The slddrt is a file called when you make a format change (from A4 to A3 for example).

3 Likes

hello, I agree with the others in the sense that saving elsewhere will prove to us if the problem is related to the Solid folder or file. 

Kind regards

1 Like

That's right, I CRASHED when writing the file format to save; I was not yet wide awake... But the fact that you have a separate folder for saving your background plans is still much simpler and that way you can put them on the server and everyone will have the same ones if you are with several designers.

2 Likes

Hi all

Thank you for your answers, I have done the steps I think you told me. I have attached some pictures to explain the process 

Step 1 Add a custom directory for my basemaps

Step 2 Save my custom basemap

Step 3 Solidworks goes directly to the default directory for basemaps

Step 4 Reassign my basemap to my custom directory

Step 5 Error message when I try to save my basemap

Hello

Step 4 is not good. The basemap is saved in slddrt format.

This file contains only the part present in the basemap (texts, dimensions, drawings).

The drawing template containing the customization (annotation format, line style...) is saved via a save as and selecting   "Drawing template". This will generate a drwdot file.

Never change extensions in the recording window.

1 Like

Maybe a mistake but why put the .slddrw extension in your filename when you choose .slddrt subtype? When you save, there's no need to type in an extension, just choose the right type.

Hello

I tried to change the extension to .slddrw instead of the default one slddrt , why I did that,  p.c.q. in the first ACcobra message,  I thought his message said to put the slddrw ext.

I found that it didn't make sense (I must have misinterpreted ACcobra's message) but I ran both ways, one with the default ext and the same error message appeared (see step 5).

I have a track I created  the background  plan template before (.drwdot) and then save the basemap (.slddrt)

I'm wondering if I should delete my drawing (.drwdot) and save my basemap so that it can be saved before

Dsl my msg to previous I admitted to having made a mistake in the extension, you have to register under .drwdot 

I wasn't awake yet and it's to this file that you need to point the links so that it has this reference when creating a plan.

For the problem in step 3, we need in step 1
- either remove the default path from SW (normally you don't need it anymore);
- or play with the order with the up/down buttons so that your path appears first.

I followed the following steps to check my theory according to whether I should create my basemap  and save it first,   then I save my file as .slddrw so as not to lose my info.

1-  Creating a new drawing with my drawing  model and then I saved my blank plan template on a slddrw file 

2- Close solidworks

3- Go to the drawing directory and delete my template

4- Reopen Solidworks with the slddrw file containing the drawing information

5- Save the basemap (command under file)

6- Last Save Under with the drwdot ext 

And finally I still have the error message and solidworks stops 

You have to create a directory folder where you store your basemaps, you create the said basemap and you save it in this folder in .drwdot then you go to the Solidworks settings to indicate where to look for the new basemap and from there when you create a new MEP you should have the one you created...

1 Like

I had to copy and  rename my drawing model (  drwdot) to a basemap file (.slddrt) for the software to find it.

I can continue my tutorial and thank you again for the support