3D scanning and reverse engineering

Hello everyone,

I have a .obj file (mesh so if I'm not mistaken) which is the scan of a 3D part. I would like to do reverse engineering in order to get a modeling of the part in solidworks for example and be able to generate construction plans. (the scanned part is a broken part and we want to rebuild it)

My question is the following: can someone who is used to this type of approach advise me on a method and the software he uses.

I have Rhinoceros 3D, solidworks with the scan to 3d module and autocad.

I did some tests with the following methods:
- import into Rhino then create surfaces, sections for a manual reconstruction, then an import into SW for a functoin recognition (this last point has not yet been tested)
- import into Solidworks, but I can't use it with the scan to 3d module.

BE CAREFUL I am not asking to be chewed up with a step-by-step method, but more feedback and advice on the best way to proceed.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

already try to test with function recognition

it's not bad and made for that................; -)

2 Likes

Gt22 thank you for your answer, the problem is that the function recognition button is grayed out when I import my part. Do you think it's due to the import format?

1 Like

You have which version SW Standard Pro Premium

I think you need the premium version to have function recognition

Have you ever tried to do a function recognition with your SW?

@+

Hello

For that, he has a pro license. If you have it, you have to activate scan to3d in the add-ins, then open file and in file type choose " mesh file" at the bottom of the list then click on  the part then open.

may the force be with you.

2 Likes

I have the standard version, but my colleague who has the premium one on his bike has the same problem, the function is grayed out.
No I've never done one, I looked at the SW tutorial on this link http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/fworks/t_recognizing_features_automatically.htm

but hey since I can't activate the function it's hard to just start,.

We just tried with a simple piece that we created, but the function remains grayed out, I'm going to first look for where this problem is coming from, which I need to fix first.

thank you again for your answer

Hello

FeatureWorks feature recognition, which has been standard since SW2016, only works on imported volume bodies, not surfaces and necks.

@+

2 Likes

To import an OBJ file

3 Likes

@ coyotte you mean that 

FeatureWorks Feature Recognition

it works in volume

it doesn't work in surface

@+

2 Likes

I have already done similar projects under solid

1- Open the file as a mesh file