Simulation - Finding a target force for a given stress

Hello

I've been looking for a while, but I don't know if this function exists on simulation. I try to determine, on one model or another, an effort according to a given constraint.

For example, I take 2 welded pieces with a bead represented in sweeping, and I apply a tensile force. Normally, I make an effort, I check the constraint, packed it's weighed. On the other hand, now, I am trying to find the force that will generate a constraint of 200 MPa in my cord. Or another example, a simple calculation on a beam embedded on each side, find the force applied in the middle of the bar that takes me to a stress of for example 100MPa.

Does this function exist?

Thank you

Hello

RDM is a linear science. CAD Stresses are proportional to the forces.

Do your analysis with a load of 1, then do the rule of 3 to find the load that suits your constraint.

A+

JM

1 Like

Hello @Jwunder 

I like @jean-marc.brun's remark because with the pro version you can even make scenarios like for the frequency resistance. With the bass version it is also easy to make these scenarios.

I believe that wanting to check weld seams is not the responsibility of SW simulation.
In any case, if by chance you embark on this operation, you have to set it down severely because most of the cases of weld simulation that I have seen were totally wrong because they were badly parameterized, if only because the metal of the weld was not correct.
On the other hand, SW Simulation professional allows welds to be made according to Euro-code standards. That said, it all depends on the thickness of the welded parts, for anything less than 15 mm thick parts, the welding simulation does not give significant results compared to a simple joint contact between the two parts.
Before software, we used to do soldering, and that's why there are charts and even spreadsheets that give the results directly, provided that you respect the 13 of the nominal conditions of the calculations and that you describe the different welds that will be used (continuous or discontinuous, single pass or multiple pass).

Kind regards

Personally I don't like the "weld seams" connector because I find it psychorigid, so much to say badly done for all discontinuous welds, etc... It's a headache to make simple assemblies. It is therefore necessary to have constructions that are the responsibility of metal frameworks for it to be of interest. If you are doing metal framing or similar as large mechanical welding, it is not Solidworks that should be used. (but rather something like the Tekla structures range).

Hello

Thank you Jean-Marc, I forget the fundamentals from time to time. Yes, we are linear as long as we stay in the elastic domain. So, problem solved.

Zozo, thank you for your intervention as well. Indeed I am not used to calculating welds with simu, but I sometimes make a simplified representation of the most stressed place in my part/assembly to have an idea of the stress in a bead. On a simple shear bead, it's easy to calculate by hand, but when you start to see solicitations combined with special shapes, I prefer to make a small simu to roughly see the local stress. Basically, am I at 50? 100 ? 150 Mpa? I never work in fine optimization (we work on the project, no series product).

On the other hand, SW Simulation professionaallows welds to be made according to Euro-code standards. That said, it all depends on the thickness of the welded parts, for anything less than 15 mm thick parts, the welding simulation does not give significant results compared to a simple joint contact between the two parts.

I didn't know though, thanks for the info!

A+

1 Like