SolidWorks 2018 possible in 4k?

Good evening, here I have installed the SolidWorks 2015 version on my ASUS pc which has a resolution 3840x2160 once installed I have the bar where there is extrusion sketch etc.. which are small and when I put a dimension in the dimension option I don't see everything, I am obliged with my cursor to enlarge it each time, and when I make a sketch the dimension takes time to arrive. I went to see the options, in order to solve the problem but without success. So there you go, does SolidWorks 2015 not take into account the 4K resolution? Does the 2018 version take into account? Is it my RAM that is not enough to support SolidWorks? Or am I forced to take a pc with a 1920x1080 resolution? In short, what configuration do I need to be able to use the software without slowing down, in order to have fluidity?

My configuration of my ASUS pc:

Windows 10

Model: ASUS All-in-one Z220-240IC 

Processor: Intel(R)Core(TM) i5-6400T CPU @ 2.20GHz    2.21 GHz

Memory (RAM) : 8.00 GB 

System type: 64-bit x64 processor

Thank you in advance for your questions

Kind regards 

TokyoSK

Good evening

I add that you have on this model an NVIDIA® Ge-Force® GTX™ 960M graphics card with 2 GB of video memory. Disadvantage of this card it is called "Gaming" and therefore not certified by SolidWorks.

@Stefbeno said this a few days ago [ Look on this page at the "homologated" cards for SW : http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/support/videocardtesting.html ].

For the history of 4K (it's fashionable but it's nonsense for SW) it has nothing to do with Solidworks but with the configuration of the screens according to the card in connection with  W10. The display settings are therefore made outside of SW.

In addition, for the amount of RAM it is too short for SW because you need 16M or more: 30M is comfortable because you have to think about the future version of SW.
(Ram is something you shouldn't skimp on because a computer you don't change every two years (in principle)

For the graphics card, you should know that SW is currently rewriting all the programs for graphics optimization and therefore performance on large sets.

Kind regards

1 Like

I allow myself to temper the memory recommendations of @Zozo_mp, given the configuration I imagine/I hope you are a student or amateur, at first 8GB will be enough to model some parts and a simple assembly knowing that you will be limited anyway by your graphics card. Besides, I don't know if it's possible to modify this kind of machine.

For the readability part, it is possible to display large icons at the SW level (right-click on a toolbar and then customize).

1 Like