Solidworks after Autocad 3D?

Hello

Wanting to improve my 3D skills on another mechanical-oriented software,

Is it complicated to put it to Solidworks when you know Autocad very well, expert level in 3D / rendering and 20 years of use?

I've also already fumbled a bit on Inventor.

Also I wanted to make up my own mind by trying it, is there a trial version of Solidworks?

If you have a link to download it, (legally of course) it will be with pleasure.

For the moment, it is on a personal basis.

Thank you

Thierry

1 Like

Hello!

Solidworks and autocad are completely different and do not have the same "principle" of drawing! But solidworks is for me the most intuitive and the easiest to get to grips with CAD software! After a week you won't want to go back!!!

For the test there is the student version which is almost not limited except for the mention "Student license which appears on the plans".

Attached is the download links (you have to register before but it goes fast)

http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/education/SDL_form.html

Good luck

3 Likes

Hello

As far as I'm concerned, I have the opposite path: I started on parametric 3D software and today I'm working on AUTOCAD

Inventor or solidworks are quite affordable for beginners. The graphical interfaces are neat and based on the window banners.

Regarding the drawing itself, parametric 3D is much more intuitive. The only difficulty will be to get used to the use of sketches to move to a volume thanks to the different functions such as extrusion or other ....

Autodesk offers easy downloads of its entire range of software for students, but there is also a trial version: http://www.autodesk.fr/products/autodesk-inventor-family/free-trial

Dassault also offers a trial version: http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/purchase/solidworks-trial.htm

Kind regards 

Valentine

Hello

Having also worked on both software, I can confirm that for 3D Solidworks is much easier and more practical to use and offers very good rendering.

As David be3 says, trying it is the adopted :-) .

Cdt

Eric

Hello

SolidWorks is quite easy to get to grips with.

On the other hand, for rendering, I don't know much about AutoCAD, but the software offered with SolidWorks, PhotoView 360 is only available from the Professional (or Premium) version.

But it's still quite limited and I find it a bit complex to handle.

To see the different options available with the versions, see this matrix:

http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/products/3d-cad/3d-cad-matrix.htm

If you have a question about one of the lines in particular, don't hesitate!

In addition, for SolidWorks it is advisable to use a compatible and certified graphics card, this limits bugs.

To see if your position is compatible, go here:

http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

I hope I have answered your questions, if you have any others, don't hesitate to open a new question.

Edit: as you can see in the matrix, the simulation (or structural analysis by finite elements) is only available with the Premium version, the most expensive.

1 Like

Humor: when you go from Autocad 3D to SolidWorks, it's like going from a Renault Megane  to an Audi A3!!!

And since the Audi A3 is equipped with an automatic gearbox, it's easier and more intuitive to drive.....

2 Likes

Sorry @flegendre, I resolve to put you -1. Unfounded remarks. Renault has a lot to teach the Germans in terms of ergonomics.

(yes I drive a Renault in particular;) and I'm very happy about it)

To come back to SolidWorks, I find the ergonomics to be second to none.

1 Like

@flegendre, I think your humor is not understood by others.... I drive in A4 quattro and I have solidworks premium lol 

I did a test of autocad 3D on Mac (it was at the time the only software running on Apple) and I would say that I didn't manage to use it as I wanted. Not intuitive enough compared to solidworks that I used in my old company.

1 Like

@Benoit I sympathize 

1 Like

Hello

The most difficult thing to assimilate with parametric 3D software (whether CATIA, SW, SolidEdge or Inventor) is the notion of the link between functions, parts and assemblies, of parenthood.

For example, I'm thinking of the "drilling assistant" function which allows you to manage automatic repetitions afterwards but which visually does the same thing as a "material removal by extrusion" function.

I advise you to go through the integrated tutorials that give the right basics and above all to forget everything you know about Autocad to approach SW.

3 Likes

Thank you for your answers,

It's this type of testimony of a person who has used the 2 long enough to give impressions.

For the trial version being no longer a student for... a while :p I thought it would be a problem, I'll test it like this.

I am content with the difference between these softwares, but I thought it would have more similarities like Inventor and Autocad.

Flegendre, I think that the software doesn't do everything, it all depends on its mastery, I think I could surprise more than one with autocad 3D...

For the car it's the same you put a donkey behind your A3 it won't do much with it;)

Anyway, humor aside, a software can be good in one area and bad in another, for me there is no perfect software.

But what I'm looking for here is the transition between these softwares and not the comparison of these 2 softwares that have different uses.

Indeed I was planning to use a tutorial to get started, do you have an address where there are good ones?

Or do I search randomly on youtube?

I will do the test in the coming days and keep you posted.

@ Lucas

you gave me the link to see if my PC is compatible:

http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

There are only pro cards (Quadro) while I'm on a GTX Titan OC which suits me perfectly for my current software (GPU calculation),

Does Solidworks work well with gammer cards?

Compatibility is not guaranteed, but that doesn't mean it won't work!

SolidWorks kind of clears itself of bugs that can occur on devices they haven't tested, because they can't test everything either!

A little search on Google with the name of your board and SolidWorks, here is an excerpt of the first link (it's not very pleasant):

"I would recommend a GTX Titan unless you need lots of OpenGL performance. If you regularly run Maya, XSI, SolidWorks, or other pro OpenGL based applications, then you'll need to stick with a Quadro card."

Source: http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?98939-New-quadro-quot-K-quot-4000-vs-gtx-titan/page3

For tutorials to get started with SolidWorks, you can find a very interesting compilation here on Lynkoa:

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos-cao?products[0]=SolidWorks

Good luck!

2 Likes

For tutorials, there are some integrated into SW (go through the help).

They will allow you to acquire the basics, then you can move on to the others who, amha, will lose on points of "details".

For the graphics card, it depends on what you plan to do. If it's just modeling your kitchen to show mom, your card will be enough (maybe accepting a quality of treatment a little below what you know with a dedicated card). If it's to go further (semi-pro use), you'll be (very) quickly limited.

For the comparison between autocad and SW, it's a generational difference. It is especially when it comes to modifying the model that you feel the difference.
I don't know the latest developments of Autocad on the subject but for me, Autocad is basically a 2D software that has evolved towards 3D.
It is this 2D foundation that handicaps him. As a comparison, I'd rather go between MSDOS and Windows 3.1.

2 Likes

If I start SW it's not to make nuts but to make complex models.

Personally at first and if I can adapt it for certain needs in the office I would do it.

Just for the record, here is my last personal project on my blog, all done with autocad :

http://dessindus.blogspot.fr/2014/07/voiture-sport.html

The graphics card I saw after a search that SW was better with a pro card, we'll see how it behaves with mine.

It's the other way around, I went from a quarto 5000 to the GTX Titan without regret for Autocad and my other GPU/CPU rendering software.

thanks for the info Lucas

For SW, the first difference I know (by name) is the 3D parametric that interests me and the possible connection of the parts to each other.

Knowing the 3D functions of autocad well, I hope that they will look the same and be intuitive as you indicate and that I would not be forced to go through paid training but that self-taught will be enough.

I suspect that you have to practice for it to come but I wanted to test the waters before...

In short, it will be worth this launch in this new interface and tame it;)

2 Likes

Nice your car!! There are probably a lot of hours of work behind !!!! Well done!

1 Like