Solidworks - Coaxiality between two holes without reference element

Hello 

Is it possible to create a coaxiality directly between two holes or cyclinders on SW (see PC)?

Thank you

coaxialite.jpg

Hello Gerome

Coaxiality is defined by your existing centerline, but if you want to specify coaxiality according to the new standards, be more explicit, it is better to use the symbolism of the GPS dimension, which is not far from your attached image.

Be careful, I have a version that is 5 years old for the GPS rating, see if it has changed or not ;-)

Kind regards

tolerance_gps_coaxialite_2020-01-15_13_17_31.jpg
1 Like

Hello

Thank you for the quick feedback, but that's not really the point of my question.

Indeed, coaxility is defined by the centerline but according to the general tolerances that are too far from my needs.

My problem is not  the rating of the coaxiality, but rather its transcription on SW. 

I know how to do it by using a ref and by making the % coaxiality to the ref but in a simple case like this, it overloads the plan and I would like to put the reference directly with an attachment line on my geo ISO GPS tolerance ... (Creo does it very well, but not solidworks apparently)

@Gérome

You're right, the GPS rating in Solidworks is a hassle and even the standard standards (I get grumpy every time) to believe that the Americans don't use it!

Kind regards

1 Like

If I understand correctly, you manage to make a rating like the one at the top and would like to have the one at the bottom:

To do this, you need to add the following icon to your toolbar:

With this tool, you click on your part for the first time and then you get close to your geometric tolerance and, magically, SW will cling to it.

2 Likes

Yes the idea is there and I've already tried with this tool, but it doesn't take all entities as an attachment point.

In my specific case, I was forced to put the second attachment line in the void and superimpose it with the dimension arrow (see PC) because it doesn't know how to attach the attachment line to the dimension.

Now, according to the standard, in order to tolerate the axis of a shape reputed to be cylindrical, the deflection of the tolerance must be in line with the diameter dimension.

Do you have the same problem?

coaxialite.jpg

Indeed, sometimes, it's capricious.
In your case, you have to point at the generator of the hole, then manage (bring a big bucket of patience) to move the arrow without it losing its attachment... ditto to succeed in aligning it with the sidecut...

1 Like

Hello

Have you tried to cheat by adding a line on top of your drawing to have a better grip of the arrows?

I do it regularly for my wheels to simulate the ground (tangent line), because positioning a dimension on a circle is still risky on SW.

2 Likes

@Fuz3D: I don't have any particular problem with dimensioning tangently to a circle. But I admit that for the wheels, as it's a toroidal surface, sometimes it's tricky to catch the right circle.

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers.

If I summarize: you have to tinker! somehow but the software doesn't know how to do what normally^^ 

A little interesting detail for those who don't know: it is possible to duplicate the arrow of the geometric dimensioning symbol: select the arrow of the symbol and then press ctrl by moving the mouse: you now have two arrows attached to the geometric dimensioning. All that remains is to place everything in the best possible way (the perpendicular line option at the level of the symbol parameters helps a little ..) and to change an arrow into a triangle to have a reference.

2 Likes

Or else right-click on the branch and insert a new branch.

1 Like

@sbadenis: I often use the method you propose but I have never managed to arrange the lines as desired in this case.