SOLIDWORKS - Difference Between Rebuild and Regeneration

Hello

A small question that I ask myself quite often without knowing concretely if there is a real difference:

What is the difference between the "rebuild" command (Ctrl+B or the traffic light icon) and "Force 1st level assembly regeneration" (Ctrl+Q)?

Knowing, unless I'm mistaken, that both can refresh a part as well as an assembly...?

And you? Do you use these commands?

Hello, personally I only use reconstruction, a priori I would say that regeneration  is used for large assemblies to avoid wasting time rebuilding everything.

Hoping to have answered your question, cordially,

1 Like

Hello

Excerpt from the help:

Recreate

Rebuilds the model with the changes.

To rebuild the model:

• Click Rebuild (Standard toolbar) or Edit > Rebuild, or press Ctrl + B.

Rebuilds only features that have changed since the last rebuild.

To rebuild all the functions, press Ctrl + Q. The reconstruction time may be much longer depending on the complexity of your model.
When you reorder an imported feature or any other feature without a parent or child, the part is not rebuilt ; only the FeatureManager authoring tree is.

Source: http://help.solidworks.com/2015/french/solidworks/sldworks/t_rebuild.htm

In terms of use, I use the [Ctrl] + [Q] very often. But after this research I'm going to try to use [Ctrl] + [B] on the big sets.

See you.

5 Likes

I think that control B only rebuilds the functions above (For example when redoing a function in the middle of the design)

And that control Q rebuilds all the functions one by one until the end.

If you are at the bottom of your tree, both types of reconstruction have the same function

3 Likes

I often use equations on several levels.

So I have to rebuild several times so that everything is calculated correctly.

So I made a macro, I just have to click on it to perform a triple reconstruction (3x CTRL+Q).

Very practical =)

5 Likes