Solidworks - Material Removal

Hello everyone,

I am currently making a model of a staircase. The central support is a tube with a diameter of 219.1mm and for the steps we have a bent sheet metal step support, then a wood that is positioned on it. So I independently created my wooden boards, the bent sheet metal tread supports (step by step) as well as the central tube. ( the tube trajectory was created in Rhinoceros 3D and then exported to SW). Then in an assembly I positioned my steps and I am at the stage of positioning the central tube. I constrained it as follows: the axis of the tube is coinciding with the middle plane of each step (for the 1st flight as well as the 2nd flight) where it becomes a bit of a DIY is that I positioned the tube vertically by hand but I don't think it influences the rest.

I would now like to cut the folded sheets by removing material where the tube comes the sheets (see the photos I think it will be more explicit). To summarize, the cutting of one volume in relation to another in an assembly.

After testing different things, I'm at a standstill. Anyone have a method to advise me?

assistance.png

in your assembly

you would have to create the axis of your tube via a sketch and convert it into a 3D sketch

then via this 3D sketch you make an elevation of the swept material

by having created the profile = to the diameter of the tube

That's it

@+

1 Like

Hello

You can project the outline of the tube from an edited sketch in the bent sheet metal part. See attached

doc2.docx
1 Like

Don't forget to edit the room in which you need to create the sketch. This method allows you to have an associativity between the parts (external references), if you increase the Ø of the tube the rest will follow. On the other hand, if these elements are to be used separately, it is important to remember to break these external references. 

Hello

Attached is the assembly with the parts in order to do the same for your case.

assemblage.rar

Hello

You take the end of your tube and make a sketch on it, then remove material from the assembly and select the parts and check at the bottom share the function with the parts. There it should be good.

1 Like

Hello ac cobra 427,

this method works, but this function will only be in the assembly, so if you do a MEP of the parts, the part concerned will not have a hole.

Look at what I have attached and tell me what you think

Thank you for your answers. GT22 the creation of 3D curves was rather difficult because of the import of rhino I didn't have the necessary magnetization to recreate my curve (it has a singularity that I can't ignore) but the idea was good.

A.LeBlanc your answer solved my problem, a big thank you!

À.leblanc, that's why you have to check the box Propagate the function to the parts. If you do that, the removal function done in the ASM will be in the room.  

2 Likes