[Solidworks] Slowness problem and graphics bug on Lenovo Laptop

Hi all

I bought last year (August 2023) a Lenovo Pro 5i with the following technical characteristics:

Processor- 14th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-14900HX (up to 4.10 GHz E-cores, up to 5.80 GHz P-cores)
GPU- NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070 8GB GDDR6 Laptop GPU
Memory - 32 GB DDR5-5600MHz (SODIMM) - (2 x 16 GB)
Storage - 1TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 TLC
Display - 16" WQXGA (2,560 x 1,600), IPS, anti-glare, non-touch, HDR 400, 100%DCI-P3, 500 nits, 240 Hz, low blue light emission

I'm currently on Windows 11, I have SolidWorks 2022 SP5 (my license stops at this version)

I don't hide the fact that I took this pc to work on small SolidWorks assemblies (- 100 parts) and also to be able to relax on any game without worrying about the graphics settings :slight_smile:

Symptoms:

• On-part and assembly

• Slow when adding a dimension
    • Slow when editing a function dimension
    • After a while, I have like graphical bugs, some or almost all the faces of my coin become transparent even after a CTRL+Q, I close and restart, and the problem disappears for a while
  • On drawing

• Slowness on everything related to adding annotation and dimensioning

Already tested:

• Up-to-date driver, studio driver used
  • Reset
  • Reinstalling solidworks
  • Enhanced Graphics Checkbox On/Off

This has been the case since the beginning that I have the computer, I have no problem with other software such as autocad, Creo and any game.

So if you have an idea, I'm all for it.

I'll try to post the graphics problem, but I'm not on my pc right now.

Thanking you for your help, knowing that I don't have a problem on my other pc which is almost 14 years old :stuck_out_tongue: and is much much less powerful.

A+ the designers!

Hello;

To check but it seems to me that GeForce graphics cards are not at all made for Solidworks, not against them they are not bad for video games (type of calculations oblige):
https://www.solidworks.com/support/hardware-certification/
Above are the graphics cards certified for Solidworks (I couldn't find yours).
Be careful not to necessarily use the latest GPU/CPU drivers... It is better to run on old versions that work rather than on the latest update that bugs.

You can try unchecking a few options on Solidworks:
=> Graphics performance (unchecked)

then, depending on the result, try by emulating the open GL functions.

Kind regards.

1 Like

Hello, slow problems can have different causes but you may need to check all the graphics settings of SolidWorks and try to play around with the graphics performance settings:

https://help.solidworks.com/2021/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_slow_performance_-_screen_flickering.htm#:~:text=de%20la%20vue%20%3A-,Cliquez%20sur%20Options%20(20ToolBar%20Standard)%20or%20on,Click %20on%20OK.

1 Like