Solidworks- Surface to Solid thickness problem

Hi all

I am currently doing an internship in a 3D printing company and I would have liked to make a 3D origami casserole on solidworks in order to print it later. To do this, I defined all the planes that were going to be useful to me, I made the sketch of the triangles with the dimensions, then I did insertion->surfaces-> Plan, once I had seen the surfaces of my casserole, I made a Knit and then a thicken so that my casserole was 2mm thick. At first I had problems with the knit and the thickness I couldn't select all the surfaces I had to take one by the one here to get the results. However, when I finished doing this, I noticed that the surfaces, once 2 mmm thick, crossed each other and which meant that at some points I had really bad geometries with some kind of spikes (I don't know if you know what I mean).

I wanted to know if there was a way to avoid this, to prevent the surfaces once "extruded" from crossing each other rather than them stopping at the stop of the other volume.

Otherwise maybe another method to make this origami I'm taker

Thanks in advance

cocotte.sldprt

Hello I don't know what this command is called in Solidworks, but you have to assemble all the surfaces before using the thicken command if you thicken one by one indeed the non-perpendicular surface connections are not good

2 Likes

Hello

Personally, I wouldn't have used the surfaces. The surfaces are mostly used for curves etc., like a car body.

Here I don't really need the surfaces, I would have done classic extrusions, it's much less of a problem!

Edit: we could even imagine using the sheet metal module to make folds like in real life!

Otherwise, with surfaces, maybe some interesting information in this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h64HYzDmQ5A

Franck.Ceroux is right about the surface connections but you won't be able to sew all the surfaces together in your case, so you have to break down. (I tested it, it's impossible)

I think you should work in 3 times with the surfaces that are symmetrical, plus the "right" side see attached video, sorry, but I couldn't transfer the model to you because I'm in 2015.

The model contains only one volume when completed.

At the end, you can do splitting as I show you in the video if you need to change the result a little.

Good luck

Mick

capture-1.mp4
3 Likes