Problems with the development of sheet metal

Hi all

My problem is the following: in my company, sheet metal presses are only calculated in the int dimension, which causes me a problem at the sw level.

When I do drawings, I am told every time that it is wrong.

How can I solve this problem.

On the example image we take a DL of 200, for 201.78 via SW

This example is simple but I have pieces with folds and counterfolds.

Thank you in advance

ex_pliage.jpg

Did you correctly fill in the Vs of bends used, the radii and the K factors?

If they are unknown, you will have to make a list according to the material and thickness of the sheet so that solidworks can take it into consideration

3 Likes

To complete what you are telling @coin37coin:

• Edit the Sheet Metal function in the Creation Tree

Then it's in the "Folding area" part that you set up:

3 Likes

See this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghalOYesjlU

as say @ coin37coin see your K-factor  

your unfolded must be on the neutral fiber

Your K-factor is the ratio of the radius to the thickness of the sheet metal

if 1 then K = 1/3

if 2 then K = 2/5

if 3 then K = 2/3

so in your case as the radius = the thickness of your sheet metal the k factor will be 1/3

so create your fiber at 1/3 of the thickness of your sheet metal

@+ ;-)

3 Likes

Yes, but once again, to be validated with what the machines do in the workshop. If it happens, they don't make a radius of the thickness of the sheet metal at all

3 Likes

Otherwise by having everything on the inside side, you put a bending radius of 0 and a k factor of 0.001 and you will have your development on the inside side on the other hand the sheets are less representative because it is not the real radius.

Or else you take the thing in hand and you enter the loss values in the fold and then you will have the right radius and the right developed.

2 Likes

Thank you for all your answers.

I globalize but yes I manage the K factor.

For the folding tables, you would still need to have access to the machine and be able to do tests (I'll spare you the details).

Your answers only confirm what I presented, it is not possible.

1 Like

Hello

If you only want to work on the Int side you don't have to put the factor but a loss at the bend equal to 2x the thickness and there you get the dev in the Int Side.

3 Likes

Hello

For your information, at home, we also give the interior folds to the sheet metal workshop. After trial and error, it was found that with a bend radius equal to the thickness and a factor K=0.273239545, we have correct dimensions for 90° angles.
But we didn't look any further, it doesn't work for the other angles, we have diverges.

Good luck in your search.

1 Like

A tutorial for folding tables

A must see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d068bXXRsU8

We also work mainly with k-factors. Here they are with the Vé and the bend radius

1 Like

Bending on Sw is a theoretical bending.

It all depends on the machine, the tooling, the direction of rolling of the sheet etc etc...

The best thing to do is to do Sw/Folder tests in order to get as close as possible to reality.

I advise you to test on thick parts (+ 5mm) this allows you to be more precise.

In general, for thin sheet metal, I use the K factor which is often set to 0.33

3 Likes

@ Bart 0.33 = approx 1/3

as indicated in my message

it corresponds to a thickness of sheet metal =  the radius 

Are you entirely right@Gt22

After all, it depends on the tooling, you can bend from 15/10th to V of 16 or V of 10 etc...

Or even the V of 100^^ but I don't see any interest in it:p

2 Likes

with a V of 100

you start making gutters........ ;-)

1 Like

manu67's solution works quite well, but if there are two folds on the same side it doesn't work.

But I'm keeping the idea.

Thank you

If you want you can send me the part and I'll look..   :-)

1 Like

I did a test and it works well. See attachment

try.sldprt

Hello Manu67,

Ok attached the part in fact there is one which is at an ht of 100, but when I quote it in flat it is at 97.5.

Kind regards.

sam_300t1_boitard_45deg_sans_facade.sldprt

Hello

after a quick glance. It's good for me; I'm sending you a PDF plan because I'm working in 2016.

The 97.5 are in int and the drawing sticks with it. The height is 102.5 ext..

sam_300t1_boitard_45deg_sans_facade.pdf
1 Like