Space pilot pro, returns

Hello

There's a lot of talk about the Space Pilot Pro at the moment and, after having had it in my hand at Axemble, I can't really understand the advantages compared to the traditional keyboard/mouse.

Let me explain, I didn't find the 3D navigation very simple but I think it's a habit to have, however, compared to a mouse that is very precise, why change?

I use many keyboard shortcuts that are fine. The fact of using a Space Pilot replaces the keyboard of my left hand and we transfer the shortcuts to this tool but is it really easier than a keyboard (and above all, did I use it correctly...).  

If any of you have any feedback on the switch, whether you are just starting out or experimenting, I would like to know a little more about it:)

PS: Please only publish testimonials and not explanatory links, that's not the point.

2 Likes

Hello

I have been using this Spacepilote Pro for several years, and the interests are multiple.

It is true that getting to grips with it requires a little patience to master the gestures, but then it quickly becomes essential:

Two-handed work (the classic mouse becomes only a pointing tool) + customizable shortcuts always at hand.

In my opinion, it's a great tool that allows you to gain speed.

Have a nice day.

1 Like

Hello

I had a similar feeling to José's: the keyboard shortcuts are very practical, I tried to transfer them to the 3D mouse, but I didn't get hooked, finding that the zoom and translation manipulations are much more practical with a classic mouse, especially when you're already used to it!

I found myself with the Space Pilot on the left of the keyboard in one hand, and the mouse on the other side because it was still necessary to point, as @a-hincelin says.

I lent it to a few colleagues who are less fans of keyboard shortcuts, but they weren't convinced either!

I've been using a space pilot pro for more than 10 years - I haven't found a photo - but the first generation was transparent blue, there were only 2 or 3 buttons I think and the company 3D connexion was not yet part of the LOGITEC group. Over the course of the versions, the models have progressed well in ergonomics.

Each of the designers has one (simpler space explorers), and there are followers like me but also people who don't see any interest in it: so it remains a decorative object for those!!!

As you said it 's a matter of habit: you have to force yourself - tie your hand on the space mouse!!!! - for one week (minimum)..... I can't do without it anymore:

• Movements (zoom and rotate) are faster and more precise than with a mouse.
  • I' m convinced that the Space Pilot limits muscle fatigue (it's not the right hand that zooms in with the knurl and you reduce the movements of the mouse).

My Space Pilot Pro (the old version) has a multitude of configurable functions (which can replace keyboard shortcuts). Not being a fan of keyboard shortcuts but rather of the SolidWorks menus, I didn't optimize the configuration of the "beast", but that's a mistake, there is to gain in comfort of use and efficiency (but difficult to measure I grant you !!): who says efficiency says time saving, Saving time means money........

5 Likes

Hello

I had this type of mouse in an old job. Indeed, in the early days, you have the impression that you need a pilot's license to be able to use it... (which quickly put off one of my colleagues)

Once the beast was tamed, I found that the interest is quickly limited for the creation of parts because there is still a large part of keyboard input. A few good keyboard shortcuts can therefore be just as effective as juggling between the 2.

On the other hand, for the work on assemblies where we mainly travel, it's great! And the bigger the assembly with frequent changes of scale, the more you benefit from it.

So, for me, the interest of having one depends mainly on the type of activity planned.

Thank you for this initial feedback.

Obviously there are 2 schools.

I thought I read somewhere that 3D connexion had the apossibility to "lend" Space Pilots 3D to get an idea before a possible purchase.

Can anyone confirm and, better yet, has anyone already done so?

Thanks again

You may be able to make a request via myCADstore if you are an Axemble customer for the maintenance of SolidWorks.

Thank you

I'm a customer, I'll take a closer look at it:)

Hi all

I've been using a space mouse (their first name) since CATIAV4

The first version was soft (yes / no) and rotation this has evolved with the latest versions.

Quite honestly, the handling is painful, you have to force yourself.

On the other hand, once mastering, the time saving is not negligible, 15 to 30% after testing on the creation of a die

I design complex assemblies:

Stamping Tools (Vehicle)

Die-casting tools and gravity (engine blocks)

The time saved lies in the non-movement of the mouse, because I only move my parts and my assembly with the space mouse.

The second time saving lies in not using the keyboard

Ctrl + P  then enter can be done with a button press

macro.png
1 Like

Example CATIAV5:

ALT + E Q View                  Layer

ALT + E F Background                    Layer

Special                  bonding ALT + E L

Part                                        ALT + F left C P

GSD                                        ALT + F Left O G

Product                                 ALT + F Left C A

Drawing                                ALT + F left C D            

Save all                          ALT+F T

ALT + I M O Pocket                                   

Radius                                    ALT + I P O

ALT Revolution                            + I M R

ALT + I P C chamfer                            

Draft                              ALT + I  P D

Sketch                                ALT + I Q E

ALT + I M E Extrusion                             

ALT + I P S Allowance                       

Center                                 ALT + A C

ALT+INPUT Property                            

Change CTRL+TAB view                  

Back                                   CTRL + Z

UPDATE                                CTRL + U

Save                                   CTRL+S

Copy                                   CTRL+C

Paste                                    CTRL + V

Print                              CTRL + P INPUT

Validate                                   ENTRY ENTRY

Esc                                    Esc Esc

macro.png

I've been using a spacepilot for 4 years, it's simply unthinkable to work without one for me!

It's reliable design, mine has a lot of flight hours and RAS.

I didn't have any problems getting to grips with it, it happened very quickly and naturally. The fact that I had it from my beginnings in CAD has a lot to do with it I think, I didn't have deeply rooted habits.

I had colleagues try it, some of them didn't like it because it was more difficult to adapt.

When you have it well in your hand it's magical, you have the feeling of holding the piece in your hand. rotate, move, zoom... All this is done without thinking.