Step?

Good evening

I have a resource problem on my PC because I receive a lot of "big" steps and would like to understand the logic.

I receive a Step from a Subcontractor, I save it in a  folder C:\commande_xxx
I open it and save the ASM document in the folder above, if I leave it like this without dissolving the function, it keeps me (Composition to go) a link to the Step file.
If I dissolve, it saves each of the pieces in the directory where I worked before, e.g. C:\conception_xxx , and not at all next to the assembly and therefore the original step.
Strange operation?
What is the point of the Discocier function or not?
Weight gain not easy because he keeps the link with the Step ?

Frankly, I don't really understand the basis of this function... weird.

Any idea or information is welcome.

Thank you

A+

Hello Hervé.

Personally, I always use the unlink function. This is because I want to avoid making a mess of my design if I use the same files in two projects (I often use STEP for parts ending up in my library). Afterwards, if the library files are made read-only, it should avoid these errors (I do both in doubt). On the other hand, at home, everything is put in virtual components when I dissociate the STEP. I have not been able to find information on which versions of Solidworks have this behavior.

For the performance aspect, if I compare with a "big step" that I have on hand (electronic board with several dozen components):

• The size of the WWTP is 32 MB, the size of the unpaired ASM is 25 MB, and the size of the unpaired ASM is 8 MB
  • STEP playback time of 20 s but you have to add 15 s to undo the default deletion of all components; for the undissociated ASM 8 s ; for the dissociated ASM : 7.5 s
  • The same fluidity between all

On the other hand, the unlink function can take an astronomical amount of time. For some electronic boards, it took me up to an hour on a PC dedicated to simulation...

In conclusion, I would say that for me, knowing that the size of the files does not matter, it is mainly to avoid having too much dependence between the files that I use the function.

1 Like

Hello

Thank you for your answer. But I still don't understand SW's logic.

This morning I receive a Step file, I open it's an assembly, I save it in my CMD folder, I don't say the function, on the other hand I do "re-save everything", and it saves me all the sub-parts and sub-assemblies in another folder that has nothing to do with it...?

I close everything and reopen my original assembly and although the functions are not dissolved, it reopens all the subfiles....

If I have the misfortune to move the parts and asm files to put them all back together in the same folder, it can't find anything.... ?????

What is this thing, I have the impression it's the new Interconnect3D function that does that....

Does anyone have a tutorial?

I'm going to do some more trials and tests, but here, I really really  don't understand the logic of this command.

Thank you.

A+

Hello

For my part, I can't recreate the problem.

A little aside: there are options in SW for managing steps when "importing" including "importing assemblies as multi-body parts".

I think that the checkmark should allow you to end up with a single piece (no more problems of path for the components..).

3 Likes

Hello
To avoid storing the parts from the step who knows where, we use the froussel method, it simplifies things. one can then suppress and move the bodies at will. Maybe it's important for you to keep an assembly in this case you may need to make a composition to take away by adding a suffix to all your sub-assemblies and parts.

1 Like