Non-smooth solid surface

Hello everyone!
I'm new to using Solidworks and I need to create a solid for comparison with another similar one but from a reconstruction...
I make a sketch, close it and make a revolution. So far so good.
However, when I zoom in on the generated part, I see breaks on my bows (I put red dots where they can be seen...) It does the same thing on the volume. In the end, when I compare it with another volume that is perfectly smooth, you can see angles appear! Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Thank you in advance, have a good day

Hello

The problem is only visual, it's not a defect strictly speaking (it's a function that allows you to see how the volume is built. If you use "Shaded image edges"  you see the junction: but if you click on "shaded image" you will no longer have this visual defect.

The problem comes from the sketch because you have a big curve and then a radius. It should already be ensured that the connection is made with a tangency stress, this will reduce a possible misalignment.

Then if you want to have only one line without a seam then turn your two lines into a construction line, then create a spline (one for the outer edge and one for the inner edge) in one piece by snapping the spline points on the construction lines (make as many points as possible, so that the spline is super guided. Once the sketch has been validated, you will then have a perfect looking surface.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello ludo

I understand that it's a PB of image quality adjustment. It's not the junction of the two rays that bothers you but the resolution of the curves. Be careful, a setting that is too fine consumes resources.

Options -> Document Properties Tab -> Image Quality -> Shaded Image Resolution

screenshot_3.png
2 Likes

Yes, as they say @soring 

if you see segmented curved lines

it is the quality of definition  of the image that is at stake

and + your def will be high + it will be long and hungry in RAM and disk space

@+

1 Like

No!  (if I understood the problem  correctly ;-)  )  it's not a problem of facetting but the problem I describe above  ;-)

surface_absolument_lisse_visuellement_parlant_2021-03-02_11_42_30-window.jpg
1 Like

@Zozo

the best I think to really understand his problem 

is to have his room 

to concretely understand how this curve was created

At first glance there are 2 arcs of a circle 

Is it possible to side them?

it is also true that a Spline is + homogeneous since it is in one piece

but not always easy to fix 

A long bow + with lacing for vertical junction is also + simple

well that's just my point of view and I could be wrong ;-)

@+

2 Likes

@gt22

makes STP   see (a long arc + with lacing for the vertical junction is also + simple)

Thank you

1 Like

I think it's not the tg orders that are at issue. This is a detail that can be hidden permanently with the setting in the attached image while remaining in shaded display with visible edges. 

He makes it clear that he marked the breaks with red dots (it's true, not very visible).

screenshot_1.png
3 Likes

@soring

I love your solution which is two hundred thousand four hundred and fifty-eight times simpler than the one I proposed. (I cover my head with ashes of shame)
I didn't know the function.
I've been smurtsss with this for more than ten years (including for the bungee plane competition)
I'm going to put a plaque with your name in a street in my town ;-)
I'm going to adopt it for a few days to see if it bothers me or not when I'm editing a play.

You should come more often on the forum if you have a lot of good ideas like that ;-)
The more the merrier, the less rice there is.

4 Likes

:)))))

Hello everyone and thank you for all these answers.
Unfortunately, I didn't reconnect this afternoon and only saw @Zozo_mp's response, which finally helped me understand where my problem was coming from. 
I learned so much in such a short time!
Each of the solutions actually dealt with one of the "qualitative" aspects of the rendering, but I also understood that I had to explain my problem from start to finish => here my main mistake I think...
To come back to 3D, I created splines with a very small pitch (ouch..!). The sketch was smoother, but it didn't change anything about the head of my solid. @soring, great this trick for the shaded image quality, but even so it didn't change anything about my exported file.  Uh, yes, exported, I forgot to say that I was saving my file in a different format (PLY) to use it in another software. Oops:/ And yes@gt22 I think I didn't understand myself where my problem came from. In fact, the export had the same head as the solid .part.
So I finally found the export parameters in one of the menus at the end of the process after trying different solutions (I set the angle and deviation tolerances to the lowest). And there, as if by magic, my export had many more facets!
@Zozo_mp I take advantage of it before putting in resolution :) Is there an automatic way to create splines with a very small, regular step without having to click 754... times by hand?
Thank you all!

I thought I understood but far from it. 

For me, a spline is a continuous curve of variable radius. Not a succession of small arcs that are connected to give the appearance of a spline. The arcs (of a circle of course)  are curves with a constant radius. A spline must therefore be continuous. 

There are two types of splines in SW. Standard splines and since then I don't know which style spline version. Each type has its advantage. You can switch from one style to another at any time.

A spline requires at least 3 points (I circled them). Most of the time it's enough. But we can add intermediate points 2,3,4,5. No more if not too complex. 

1 Like

Wow, I wasn't there at all... And it gives me ideas for the future.
Thank you for this theoretical explanation!

Hello

You won't make the first image of the post with a simple spline, even a two-piece spline.

I suggested to put a lot of it but it all depends on the spline which in the soring example is simple but I am talking about a more complex shape.

Like this one