Assembly symmetry and MEP

Hi all

I'm looking for a solution to save time.

So, I traced a (rather complex) tank of a device, and its drawing.

This tank is in fact a "sub-assembly", because on the raw tank I have assembled various elements such as rotating flanges, lifting rings, sealing rod as well as elements specific to our customer.

This piece took me a good hundred hours, the majority of which were for the MEP.

And then, the customer changes his mind about the orientation of the machine, he wanted it symmetrical.

To create the symmetry of the 3D model of this subassembly, I create a temporary assembly of this tank, I make the symmetry of it, then rename and turn it and play.

On the other hand, I don't know if it's possible to do the same with the MEP (which is on 3 sheets)

Thank you for enlightening me on this point.

Kind regards

No, but what are these customers who think they can do anything?!?! Okay... :)

How is your coin rated? 3D dimensions or completely separate 2D/3D dimensions?

Because perhaps you know that there is an option during symmetry that allows you to retrieve the 3D dimensions (see image).

If not... I fear you have to do it all over again.

screenshot342.jpg

Hello

Maybe this link can help you, it is used to change the reference of the part of the drawing so as not to touch the display of the drawing.

http://www.leguide3d.com/profiles/blogs/solidworks-changer-les-r-f-rences-d-une-mise-en-plan

1 Like

Mathieu's solution seems very good!

On the other hand, we must hope that SOlidworks finds enough similarity between the 2 assemblies....

1 Like

Not bad the change of reference!! But since we change parts files ... not sure that SW will find all the starts and end of climbs!!

2 Likes

@Mathieu ANGER

This solution works well when the 2 elements are from the same file (same ID, so second part from a copy/paste of the first one), but in the case of a symmetry, I think it doesn't work. All the dimensions will appear wobbly and you will have to hang them up by hand at best, or even redo them all.

Edit, we agree @David be3

4 Likes

Advice, completely redo your plan with symmetry but also keep your current plan! Your client might change his mind!!    :)When it happens and everything is changed, it's not easy to keep calm! ^^

5 Likes

Hello

Sometimes, when we invoice the time spent to the client, it encourages him not to change his mind, otherwise, the 2nd time we go faster to redo the drawing. ;)

I don't know the design of your tank, but if instead of making a symmetry, you modify the dimensions from + to -

So, you don't change the ids of the dimensions, but we change their position in relation to the ae or the plane, it will be a mess in the mep, but the dimensions will all be present, just replace them.

S.B

1 Like

And the little note above the cartouche "to be made symmetrical to the plan" doesn't work?

1 Like

I agree with the symmetrical note on the plan, on the other hand I would rather put a huge note than a "small note" ;-)

Otherwise, from a DWG or a DXF it's quite simple.

DraftSight does symmetries where everything is symmetrical except the texts (it puts them right side up unlike our old version of AutoCAD 2004!)

This is the Mirror function in the Edit menu, see attached image.

miroir_draftsight.png
1 Like

I agree with Benoit.LF.

Nice photo, I think you'll recognize mine.

Friends Burtonnian Hi

I'll make a mix of the proposals of "David be3" and "s.b":

- keep, if only by making a comp to take away the original file.

- invert the dimensions and constraints by hand (often he reverses the alignment on the coaxialities). I had the case, it didn't go too badly.

On the other hand, I don't agree on the note in this case.

on the other hand, it would deserve a good amendment this kind of modification, or there is an organizational problem (no design review before doing the MEP?).