Mortise tenon on stringer exterior spiral staircases

Hello everyone! I am working on SW2019 SP04

I wanted to create mortise tenons to facilitate the placement of the railing plates of a spiral staircase, except that the software does not accept it on the ext stringer, I succeeded by selecting the sheet metal of my step but obviously this is not the desired result (see photos). When I select the inner side of my stringer, it tells me that the result would merge the pieces. It's simply impossible to do this because the stringer was created from a surface and a transitional fold. 

Thank you for your answers!

2019-11-06.png

To use this function, you must:

bodies so make sure to make your parts in volume 

@+

1 Like

Hello

Why not do a material removal using the face of the tenon then unfold the stringer and repeat the mortise?

2 Likes

Try to build your stringer this way, so you don't go through surface. You know the height, the angle of the quarter turning, the Ø as well as the width of the stringer, so you have everything you need to make it in sheet metal directly. Here is an example that I made in elliptical almost 3 years ago.

plinthe_elliptique.sldprt
5 Likes

Hello

I prefer the method of @ac cobra 427 because the advantage of doing it in sheet metal is that you stay very very close to the real world (real life) which will save you a lot of modifications and wasted time and in addition to the time saved for the cutting in particular.

Kind regards

1 Like

Thank you very much I will try with this option!

Hello

I need to do the same thing as @AC Cobra (skirting board _elliptique) but on a cone trunk! In order to get a vertical flat with a slight angle. I imagine it must be the same principle as on a cylinder but I have a hard time knowing where to start. Thank you in advance for your help

essai_main_courante_sur_cone.sldprt

Hello

The easiest way would be to open a new workstation and also put screen prints of your need because we didn't all have the same versions.