Sheet metal Transition folds Complex part

Hello

I'm on solidworks 2018. I have to draw a thick sheet metal type part. This part is formed/rolled, and makes an angle with the vertical. Worse, this room must have some kind of lugs on both sides. But there is no way to draw this piece properly and to be able to lay it flat. I tried to draw just the rolled sheet metal and then add the lugs by extrusion, but it was impossible to unfold it. I tried to draw the object by section (see attachment), but impossible to merge the pieces to have a clean flattening. I finally tried to make a surface part but flattening doesn't work either and I need to keep the notion of thickness.

In short, if a member of the Solidworks community has an idea to move forward on this issue, I would be delighted.

Thank you in advance for your help

Kind regards

volet_tmi3_sup_test6.sldprt

Hello

Could you put a screen print, what you would like to have, or a plan and put a WWTP of your room? Not all of us have Solidworks 2018.

1 Like

I opened with eDrawings, is this a piece of the kind you wish you had???

volet_tmi3_sup_ac_cobra.sldprt
1 Like

It looks very much like ac cobra 427 !

with the Surface Flattening Function

it works without a problem

See attached image

attached file SW 2017

@+ ;-)

volet_tmi3_sup_ac_cobra.sldprt

I don't see why we couldn't bend it with the sheet metal functions.

However, there will be a problem of the precautions to be taken during the FAB because depending on the bending technique used, the press will not be the same. But hey, these are not timepieces and with the precautions suggested below, it must be fine.

- All parts will need to be cut in the direction of the rolling fiber.
- Spring back to manage
- When driving, you will have a defect in the studs.

Kind regards

Hi all

Thank you for all your answers. Unfortunately, I don't want the room to be vertical, but to be at an angle of about 8° to the vertical. I have the impression that this is why the solutions studied do not work.

Here is the STEP file if it's easier on earlier versions of Solidworks

volet_tmi3_sup_test6.step

Good evening @ fcharrayre

Is the attachment what you want to get?

If so, we wonder why you complicate your life like this.

You make five superfluous transition folds (which are strictly useless and are also wrong) since all your sketches start from a single sketch at the very beginning of the tree.

The transition advantages are generally used when you want to do the equivalent of a crunch to make a hood for example or a part of a cone when you can't roll over the entire piece.

Also, you want to make five folds only because you have four studs, which is absolutely unjustifiable. You also have a 3D sketch that is also useless.

You have to decide: either you make the piece by rolling (and you completely disregard the 4 studs) or you make your piece by crunching.
In which case you just have to avoid making a crunch crease just at the place of the studs.

Conclusion as your piece is made

1°) You would just as quickly make it in volume and then transform it into sheet metal. To have developed it (but it's a waste of time with no real added value.

Personally , given what I see with your first sketch, you have a 1980 mm radius bow for a 983 mm chord and a 948.88 mm bow, so as you know the arc length, you know something about the flat press. On such a large radius there is little deformation and shrinkage or elongation at the fold.

So you just have to make your piece flat with the dimensions of the bow and send it to fab.

Keep the current volume to make your assemblies and you're done.

Kind regards

Hi @ fcharrayre

well I got your step back being in inf version

why do you have several bodies

in theory it's the same part

so at least make sure to have only one body to be able to unfold

in surface I reiterate it works nickel chrome

even if your piece has warped curves and straight parts 

see attached image and file under SW 2017

PS:

Is it possible to see how you created this piece

(creation tree since 5 bodies)

@+ ;-)

@gt22

Hello

In fact, I separated my object into 5 parts because it was impossible to make it in one piece. The "dewclaws" do not pass.

When I make my piece in 5 pieces, I manage to combine all 5. No problem. But the "flat surface" option is grayed out

And if I use the "unfolded" function, it's anarchy

@ Zozo_mp

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, the press is not that easy to obtain, because as I pointed out, the rolled sheet metal makes an angle with the vertical. So the developed is not a simple rectangle

Hello

As I said in my previous post

Nothing justifies the method used by @ fcharrayre . We must not lose sight of what is feasible or not in fab.

A simple sketched fold is enough to bend and fold, unfold with the standard SW functions.

That's it in 10 minutes (and again I stirred the coffee)

Kind regards

cintrage_piece_tenon_mortaise_-_fcharrayre__v1a.jpg

You have the file in SW 2017 that I posted to you

just combine your volumes which are basically 5 in 1

to have only one piece

then you can do a flat

as in the file I posted

Question Why are your lugs created via a straight part?

@+

If you do the same way I did, it should work like in the piece I posted at the beginning. You make two sketches on different planes and you use the transition fold function and for the tenons you have to do it like in my piece otherwise it doesn't work.

1 Like

Hello

I don't understand what you're saying (the rolled sheet metal makes an angle with the vertical.)

I made your model easily. And the press is a rectangle with studs.

To have a lot of experience with parts of this type of mortise tenon and especially given the size of your part, the tenons are not a problem. Worse still, you will have a small defect when driving, but easily rectifiable after driving.

If you have several parts, pay close attention to the direction of the laminating fiber when you do the nesting on the laser cutting machine.

I am attaching the listed document to you, but it is up to you to put it at your own dimensions.

Kind regards

EDIT: @ACcobra's solution also works very well :-)

piece_roulee_avec_tenons_-__fcharrayre___v1a.sldprt

@zozo_mp

Here is a drawing illustrating my story of angle with the vertical

fcharrayre

OK, I finally understood, you just have to make four folds afterwards.

In other words, after having done the rolling and not before, on the other hand  you will have to make indentations on both sides of the tenons. A simple line during laser cutting is enough.

I'm making the modification on the piece I already made and I'm posting it to you.

Kind regards

@ fcharrayre

Good!

You'll have to be smart because sometimes software doesn't know how to do what we know how to do in real life. (just look at the old versions of SW in sheet metal)

To make your part you will have to make two parts (using the configs:

- one for laser cutting and rolling and flattening

- a second one for bending the tenons.

Indeed, it is apparently not possible to make a fold on a curved tenon so it is enough to make the bent tenon in volume. It is this part that will be used both for the MEP and to make your assembly (if you have one).

Not mastering the surface I can't offer you a solution in surface but others will surely do it :-)

Here is the image of the bent tenon.

To make the piece I attach the part in another post. I'll make you a tutorial because it's not easy to explain. That way my little comrades who don't have the 2018 will be able to tell you that they have a better method.  ;-)  ;-)

piece_roulee_avec_tenons_-pliage_tenons_vue_01_-__fcharrayre___v1a.sldprt.jpg

Thank you very much. In fact, the play is not that easy to do.

I'm trying by making a longer piece that I'm extruding. The flattening seems feasible in this case.