TORTOISE SVN VS PDMWORKS

Hi all.

We are in the process of setting up a PDM within our company.

After several discussions between colleagues, we are leaning towards 2 solutions:

- PDMWORKS paid software

-TORTOISE SVN free software

I would like to know if any of you use TORTOISE SVN? And to tell me about your experience?

Thank you for your answers.

Have a nice day.

Hello

It all depends on what the PDM is for.

If it's to manage SW files, I'll go for PDMworks because it's natively integrated into Solidworks which allows me to manage the specificities of these files (the use cases of components in assemblies, or virtual files (even if not very well managed)  for example).

If it's to manage word/excel docs it's probably different (because there are normally fewer links on this type of files).

1 Like

Hello
Thank you for this thread.
SVN AND PDM don't have the same features at all.
I use SVN to manage my programming projects. It is super interesting but needs to be managed by a competent person.

I know a company that uses SVN and SW for some projects. The IT manager is very competent. It suits them.

I do not think it makes sense to compare these two solutions. You need to take stock internally of the needs you have and the resources you can allocate to this project.

I'm interested in feedback from people who use SVN with SW.

1 Like

Hello

TORTOISE SVN is a source code manager and allows the modification of files by several people simultaneously to work as a team on a development project.

But for SOLIDWORKS files this is not possible because SVN will not handle this type of file and it will create conflicts.

In SOLIDWOKRS PDM a checked out file cannot be edited by another person, it  is possible to manage the editing rights of users according to the workflow and the status of the documents

You can also start conversion tasks (for example) to automatic when a project is validated. 

And above all, it keeps all the reference links in the database, which allows you to rename, move  documents, view the BOM and data cards directly from the Windows explorer,   ...

I think the 2 tools are not really comparable.

Philippe

1 Like