Automatically transfer smart dimensioning from 3D model to drawing

Hello

I'm looking for a quick way to automate MEP creation.

To do this, I create a 3D model, which I dimension with the "intelligent dimensioning" function directly on the 3D using reference planes.

Then I create a drawing where I have the "Preset..." " which I save as "Drawing Templates". This file will allow me to obtain the same map tram regardless of the 3D model.

When my 3D model is open, I open the file for drawing in a new SW tab. I right-click on one of the Predefined views and insert my model into it. All I have to do now is use the "Model Objects" function and as a source "Assembly only" to make my dimensions appear. However, some dimensions appear that I do not want to see as stress distances for example.

First, I try to automatically dimension my 3D model using plans created beforehand. I saw that there was already a way to do it using a macro but I don't know how to go about it.

Secondly, I would like to know if you know of any other methods to transfer the dimension from the 3D model to the 2D model.

Thank you for your help!

Yes, you have to use DimXpert.

The 3D model is dimensioned more or less automatically (GPS).

Then you can integrate it directly into the drawing.

There are tutorials on this in SolidWorks

2 Likes

For the simple part I use object of the model which imports the dimensions from the 3D sketches. Advantage or disadvantage it also allows you to fly the coast from the MEP.

2 Likes

Hello

In order for a dimension not to be placed in a MEP, in the 3D model, you must uncheck in the dimension options: Mark for drawing.

To create an automatic dimension, you have to make a macro that will not work

1 Like

@alain. ERP

Thank you for your answer. It is true that the DimXpert tool is the best way to dimension a part in the 3D model. However, it's an assembly that I need to dimension and it seems that the DimXpert tool doesn't work with this type of file...

@sbadenis,

Thank you, I use this method for my need

@Yves.T,

Thank you for this information, unfortunately I don't have access to this option because it's not a hill. Let me explain, in my assembly when I constrain a part with an angle of 45° to a face of another part, this angle appears on my MEP. I will therefore find the same options as the constraint menu as shown in the attached image.

angle_de_45.png

Do you use this option so you don't import everything into your drawing

See at the bottom of the page http://help.solidworks.com/2016/french/solidworks/sldworks/hidd_dynparam_tools_dlg.htm

button_Mark_Dimension_for_Drawing.gifMark the dimension to import into a drawing.This option is available only in assembly documents. When you insert objects from the model into a drawing, you can insert all dimensions or only those that are marked.

@MaD,

Yes, I am already using this option. This checkbox is automatically selected when adding a dimension to the assembly. My problem is really generating for the value of a constraint that is in my assembly.

Thank you for your answer

1 Like

SolidWorks does place a feature dimension in assemblies for distance and angular constraints. To display them, right-click on Annotations in the feature manager and Show function dimensions.

1 Like

@Yves.T

Thank you very much! Indeed, I just have to uncheck this box in my "Drawing Templates" file so that these dimensions no longer appear!

All I have to do now is find a way to automatically dimension my assembly in 3D