Point cloud model transformation

I would like to know if there is a way to transform a model into a point cloud to be able to perform the Scan to 3D function (assisting the preparation of the mesh......)

Hello

I don't really understand. Want to turn a model into a scatter plot?

I don't really see the point of doing simulation...

Now, if you want to do the opposite, it's possible, but be careful with the generated file. Point clouds are often very "heavy" and difficult to exploit directly. Generally, they have to be "cleaned" in order to be able to use them to create surfaces, then volumes.

1 Like

The model I want to transform is a model from a 3d scan but I don't have the source file for it, I want the point cloud file in order to re-clean and create the surfaces

Certainly while the file has already been worked on by the person who sent it to you. Maybe if you could send us the file, we could look at the problem...

If not, you should contact the person who gave you the file and see if they can provide you with the point cloud.

Hello

Without really providing an answer, I come to "enrich" the debate ;o)

Globally there is the world of skin "STL" and the world of matter "STP3.

3D scans give point clouds that are interpreted as a skin. Catia offers a transformation module, but in the end the geometry is approximate.

Here are my tests:

http://youtu.be/eSjCOyOtPXM

3D scanning is certainly the future: you scan and email the file. So there is a lot of research to be done on the reconstruction of the model.

Are there any "miracle" software?

In any case, CATIA V5 seems to me to be quite inefficient?

Who has tried a software, a module that correctly models a 3D scan?

Kind regards

Marc

If you obtained a . STL

It is rebuildable via Catia V5 and rapid prototyping modules

As Yves tells you, be careful because who says SCANN says deformation

Linked to the working tolerance of your scann but also related to the reconstruction

If you can share the . STL it would be easier

PS: I very often rebuild parts. STL and the original model comparts

PS: the scanning equipment used in my company and steinbichler comet 5

My sector must also invest in Scan. I'm going to contact Steinbichler, I guess there's a demonstrator in Paris?

In addition, their demo video is on a milling machining tool, which is my specialty (Catia CAM) :o))

Thanks for the info

I have made available a tutorial to answer your request.

Hoping you are using CatiaV5

Hello

Here is the file that was sent to me (door handle).

Billy.

handle1a.stl

Hello

Using your file I managed to get only the points and not the facets, just uncheck the facet option when you import your point cloud, I put an image as an attached file.

Kind regards

Bastien

2013-09-16_16h14_17.jpg

Hello

Well I ended up getting the mesh file  with 3ds max, I exported my file  in object format (.obj) then I opened it with SW, then I performed the scan to 3d function (mesh preparation assistant......).

Thank you everyone