Transforming a volume into sheet metal

The question of the day is certainly simple for you!

How to transform, or how to make, a cylindrical welded rolled sheet? I'll spare you the following cuts.

But how do I transform my volume (in PJ in 2015) into sheet metal? into a fold-out piece?

Or how do I attack my sheet metal piece knowing that there is no flat surface?

I imagine that both are doable!

tole_roulee.sldprt
2 Likes

I just found a solution but not sure if it's the easiest.

Using 2 sketches in 2 parallel planes and then "transition folds"

thus:

Which brings me to another question! Can we work on the cutouts with sketches on the unfolded state and then make them appear on the rolled 3D?

tole_roule.jpg
3 Likes

The solution you found is not bad, otherwise the other solution is to take an edge, by inserting folds, in the folding parameter.

Good luck

1 Like

See this link Everything is said

http://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2010/08/create-a-rolled-component-that-can-be-unfolded/

@+

1 Like

Hello

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KP03etai_Yk

1 Like

Why not simply draw it directly in sheet metal instead of going through a boss?

deplie.png
2 Likes

for the interior cut-outs do "unfolded" "choose your fixed face" and "your fold(s) to unfold"

then create your sketch and do your material removal.

A little video that goes well: https://youtu.be/p32oMws-xPY

(the sketch part is towards the end)

1 Like

It's normal that it doesn't work.

You don't have to draw 2 curves to make your sheet metal.

A single curve is enough.

So draw your outer curve that you have sided, and run a basic sheet metal function.

From there, you give it a thickness, here it's 2mm and a length, here 700mm

You validate, and you have your fold-out piece.

1 Like

Thank you for your answers!

I figured out how to start this part, but I still can't draw sketches on the unfolded model while keeping the extrusion functions in folded mode...

Basically, my raw and flat sheet metal will be laser cut. So I would like to make my (many) cuts in the plan, in a single sketch. And then to be able to find this extrusion in "rolled" mode so that the cut-outs appear in my assembly. That's where I get stuck!

See my example in PJ, the extrusion is located after the unfolding function...

decoupe_tole_roule.sldprt
1 Like

Give a screenshot of what you would like we don't all have the same version

@+

1 Like

See the PJ.

Basically, how do I keep the cutouts when I come out of the unfolded state?

Sorry for my ignorance, I almost never do sheet metal, or at least I usually always have a flat portion. here it's entirely cylindrical (rolled sheet metal)

decoupe_tole.jpg
2 Likes

a walkthrough

if it's a rolled sheet metal you have its radius

so the unfolded coast

you  do in unfold with the removal of material

then with the bending tool with radius adjustment

it's just an idea that goes through my SW 2012 version

for fun in 359° ;-)

@+

3 Likes

Yes! Thank you for your answer.

Indeed it's a solution!

On the other hand, last trick question! how would you do for this kind of room (in PJ)?

a crankcase in a flat sheet metal with just the slightly rolled end.

Always the same, how do you make the laser cuts in a single flat sketch? And how do you roll the sheet metal over a small portion while keeping the previous cuts?

tole.jpg
2 Likes

well in my opinion you do the same way

except that as a ref of bending

you modify the adjustment plan 1 and 2 (the green and red line for the rolling part

put your bending axis between these 2 adjustment lines and size the radius

I think it should do it

Here is a text

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

Yes, thank you!

It's a function I didn't know about! It's true that it's possible to play with different parameters, so I succeeded in what I wanted to do.

So to sum up, I designed my parts flat (like the plans that I will send to the laser cut)

then I create a second configuration in which the "bending" function is located (which will be used for my assembly)

Thanks again gt22 for your help

1 Like

@ thom@s

Don't forget to put on the answer that suits you a resolution

This will allow other members to know the correct answer quickly without reading the entire com thread

Thank you

@+ ;-)

I think you're taking the problem the other way around: usually you need a rolled part with cutouts that allow you to perform functions.

So that's what you draw, then you use the sheet metal function of solidworks which will put your part flat (and will therefore deform your cutouts). The final result won't be exactly what you drew initially (because the cutting is done perpendicular to the sheet metal, so the cutting edges are deformed after rolling), but it will look like what you will have in the workshop.

Sheet metal parameters (facetur k, bend loss, etc.)   slightly change the shapes/lengths of the cutouts and unfolded. They depend on the tools used to roll/bend the sheet.

That's exactly what I didn't want to do! (to make it more or less!) ;)

Now I have a theoretical and dynamic model, compatible with my assemblies and drawings. That's what I wanted to do! I thought it was possible in sheet metal but apparently, no. So that was my mistake!

2 Likes