Hopper

we have a lot of trouble making a hopper with SolidWorks.

the hoppers, with us, are quarter/quarter welded sheets

After a lot of testing, here is the result (attached) that seems the most accurate to us.

I would like to have your opinion on the subject.

fab-test01_amo18_p0001.sldprt

Hello

First of all, I don't know which version, but in 2017 and 2018 you have a function that saves you from doing your material removal-scanning. This is easier and gives a better result, especially if you assemble four sides.

The other point that catches my attention is your closed corners which are not top top but nothing serious.

Otherwise, the method is generally good for obtaining a quick result.

Personally, I always start from a flat sidewall and only make sketched folds and I never use the sheets bent on edges. Probably because I learned everything before even CAD software existed.

Also my method allows me to make indentations better suited to laser and bending because SW does not give the exact deformations especially as soon as you exceed 5 mm.

The right solution is to do as you did but by re-modifying some sketches a little, either in volume or after flattening.

Kind regards

remarque_detail_tremie___2018-10-04_20_07_46-legendre_v1_.jpg

I'm in SW20018:

@Zozo_mp, if you talk about the "cutting" function in sheet metal tools (see below)

With this same tool we cannot, and it's a shame, make the cuts in the 4 corners of the hopper and therefore go from a volume body to 4 volumes (before transformation in sheet metal), which is why we go through material removal by scanning.

In addition, if the hopper is complicated, the cutting made with this tool is sometimes "weird". 

@zozo_mp, if you can put online an example of a hopper of I look at how you do it would be cool.

Indeed not easy!

but by talking to him nicely ;-) 95% of it bends to our wills

Look at the attached image.

But I think there's an easier way to make your hopper, give me a few hours, I'll see about it ;-)

flegendre_fonction_decoupe_exemple_ndeg1__v1a.jpg
1 Like

We discussed it a lot with the VISIATIV Hotline and indeed we found it simpler.

See the result attached:

-no need for a shell, no more cut-outs....

it must work in many cases

fab-test01_amo18_p0001.sldprt
1 Like

Good evening FLegendre

I'm not convinced at all because you'll never be able to make folds from these plans.

Look, you have a lot of defects everywhere that will make it impossible to fold.

I would be you, I would keep the excellent idea of the removal of mat.extru. Slim only when the cutout function is not working.

Be careful in your last fab-test01_amo18_p0001-2 shipment, the sketch 4 of extruded boss2 is wrong which causes you a big shit at the end (at the very bottom of the hopper).

In fact it also largely depends on how you make the welds, because you have to find a good compromise between a very adjusted sheet metal which will force the bender to make overquality and spend time to make normally simple folds (in particular by making precise adjusted corners) while the weld naturally fills in these cutting and bending imperfections. It depends on whether you are welding on the outer edges or on the inner corners

One last point that can help you reduce costs is the order in which you make the flanks and especially the additional edge folds.

- You will have more homogeneous results if you do all the folds on the edge for a given sidewall in a row.
- Also try to think about the exterior and interior flanks. In your model, flanks  6 and 8 should (could) be the inner flanks. You'll see that this will change the laser cutting and simplify the adjustments.

This also allows you to make internal welds, which avoids sanding rework, for example.

Well, I'm going a little beyond the initial request, but hey, dear colleague !   ;-) you asked for advice: is it not?

Kind regards

2 Likes

I hadn't put the right file !!!, so indeed there were plenty of defects everywhere (thanks @zozo_mp). Attached is the correct file (part and drawing).

FYI: with us they are used to welding 1/4 - 1/4 with welding on the outside

fab-test01_amo18_p0001.zip
1 Like

Hello flegendre

You still have some small minor defects that will only appear when bending due to the swelling of the material. You would have to add a material removal at certain angles (notching in the form  of a 1.5 hole) which is nothing to laser cutting.

Holds!   I see that you have added spokes in the corners (very good):-) :-)

Kind regards

tremie_defaut_1_2018-10-08_14_34_02-window.zip
1 Like