SolidWorks Units

Hi all

Stupid question but question nonetheless...

On the SolidWorks 2014 that I use, the user who installed it set the units to IPS mode.

However, I need the MMGS mode instead. I know I can change them by opening a document, but I wish it was for all open documents and not bother each time to change the unit mode.

Apart from reinstalling the SolidWorks, I don't have too much of an idea, if anyone has the solution.

Thank you in advance.

Have a good day everyone.

To keep the units, you need to re-save your document templates (.prtdot, .asmdot, .drwdot). It's not related to your position.

As a result, the documents already produced will have to be modified one by one, unless you have the MyCADServices tools, I believe that INTEGRATION allows you to do that. Or via a macro.

Edit: in general, when you go to Tools/Options, the "System Options" tab is linked to your workstation, and the "Document Properties" tab is originally the source of your document templates (once the document is created and saved, these properties are part of the sldprt file, SLDASM or SLDDRW).

6 Likes

Or, to complete Benoit's answer, if it turns out to be too cumbersome to re-register the models or parts, you can create a macro that does the conversion to the part you want.

2 Likes

I think I expressed myself badly in my request.

I open SolidWorks, I want to open any document or even a new document and the units mode is IPS. I just want to be in MMGS so that I can measure not in inches but in mm directly.

As Benoit says, the easiest way would be to re-save your document templates.

You can create a new specific document template for your future parts.

To do this, create a blank document with all the desired options (including your MMGS units) and save it as .prtdot for parts, .asmdot for assemblies, or .drwdot for MEPs. Don't forget to link to solidworks in: Options => File Location => Document Templates

To change all the units of your old documents, here is a fofo thread that I found that offers a macro, it seems to answer your question:

http://www.forum-cao-3d.fr/api-apprentissage/modification-de-propriete-et-systeme-d-unite-t9557.html

Kind regards

Joss

2 Likes

I think that the expression of your need was clear. To be sure, when you open one of your documents, you go to Tools/Options/Document Properties /Units? (see image)

1 Like