Your debut in BE?

Hi all

I obtained a bac +2 degree in industrial design, and I followed an AUTOCAD and SOLIDWORKS training to complete my knowledge.

I have already worked for 6 months in a methods office where I made the plans of the manufactured products, I modified the plans of the tools of the manufacturing machines at the request of the maintenance technicians and their superiors. I liked it but there was no "design", "RDM and sizing" dimension,... in short, the contract ended and I was able to improve on SW and Autocad.

I'm now looking for a job, and weirdly, the offers where it is about Design scare me (while I missed it in my previous job).

I don't feel capable of designing and conducting a study, like this, right away, despite my training! As a beginner, are you immediately asked to take charge and find solutions from the beginning, or is it gradual, for example by starting to transcribe in 3D what the project managers give us, then the drawing,...? What I miss is not having been able to approach a design office and see how the people work there (my end-of-study internship lasted 6 weeks and it was in my training center...)

I don't know what type of structure to aim for: engineering offices seem interesting to me for the versatility and diversity of studies, but it's not for beginners I think? What about large companies?

Moreover, from the "experience required" in the job offers, it is clear that employers want people who are operational right away, which I can understand of course). How do you get this experience? I thought about a professional license in work-study...

In short, a feedback from your experiences could perhaps help me see more clearly, and regain confidence in my abilities. What were your fears at the beginning, the difficulties encountered as a junior,...?

Thank you

Chacha

Hello

for my part I have been working in a design office for more than 6 years but have not done too much study. I did a BEP in 1997 and did a BAC pro TCI in 2014 and now I'm going to take my BTS CRCI. I went through all the key positions of the company (welder 2 years + assembler 2 years + CNC bending operator 8 years then and laser operator) to end up at the BE. I have a pair that is only theoretical (no experience in the field) We really complement each other. He for all the calculations and me for the manufacturing aspect and see to facilitate the assembly in the workshop; positioning marking and mortise and tenon marking. I think that for you it should be fine, you have diplomas and already a little experience in a BE and then there will always be the elders and your superior who will be there to help and guide you so that you can forge a good experience.

2 Likes

A design office is first and foremost a team. You won't be alone in designing the next Ariane rocket (laughs). A design is not done by rushing headlong into the handlebars until you get a nice 3D. That's only a small part of the job. The most important thing is communication between all members of the design office (and other departments depending on the company). Be attentive to what the elders tell you but also be convinced of your ideas even if you are afraid of being ridiculous (ridicule does not kill) and sometimes (often even maybe) the elders remain anchored in old methods (which certainly work but which can be optimized by the technical means we have and by the ideas of the young).

In short, don't be afraid, have confidence in yourself and it will do it as it worked for the rest of us.

I'm in my 7th year of BE, that's how it went for me.

Welcome and good luck

Tictic

3 Likes

Hello

I would even add that it all depends on the Be Targeted...

It all depends on whether it's a big company or not, in other words a factory or not...

I retrained in 2012 by taking a BTS TSCI. Stuck only in 2014 after 2 years of unemployment (the Brest basin not helping..)

I had a professional baccalaureate in industrial product definition from 1997 and didn't work in this field until 2014... I might as well tell you that I had lost my hand.

I stayed in a company where we were more of a weaver of lines than a designer... I left very quickly and a week later I found a permanent position not far from Nantes for mechanical design and a lot of sheet metal work.

I learned on the job.

Tell yourself that in any company you go to, you will be far from knowing everything I think, there are basics to know about the very field of the company....

I think that what is essential is during the interview to specify it... that you can bring things, a new look, improvements thanks to YOUR own experience (which is that of methods among others), but that you also remain a beginner in this new job for you.

I was frank and it paid off...

Remain dynamic, optimistic, sociable and as others say, a design office is a team.

Everyone brings their experience.

3 Likes

No better than @Fab camp.... Each company is too specific to be able to draw a general rule.
I've done a few companies since the beginning of my working life (8 in 8 years ... That's a good ratio^^) and I can tell you one thing: with each new job, you become a beginner again.

You have to learn the culture of the company, the working methods, the interpersonal skills etc. In other words, you arrive with your certainties and leave with others.

The key words remain "humility" for me. You shouldn't be afraid to say "I don't know, but I want to learn it". Your colleagues will thank you and won't leave you in the lurch

After for your fear of conception... Your boss will hire a beginner (without any pejoration eh). So he can't expect to have an old adventurer with 20 years of experience. And that's exactly what he's looking for, you're cheaper, more malleable and therefore you'll fit better into the mold of his company. He will therefore be able to increase your capacity and teach you the trade.

In short, never be afraid to apply or make a contract. If you have been selected it is not without reason and the recruiter in front of you knows what he is doing (normally)

Go for it, never be afraid of your ambitions:)

You have to show employers that even if you don't have the required experience, you want to learn, to progress and that you are motivated.

Some employers may give you a chance......

To progress quickly, a small structure (composed of a design office (2 or 3 designers) with a manufacturing and assembly unit is ideal.

Below is an announcement that might interest you:

http://www.lynkoa.com/groupes/publications/ficap-recherche-un-dessinateurprojeteur-en-construction-mecanique-ou-metallique

2 Likes

Are you taking the opportunity to do your @Flegendre shopping? :D

1 Like

In which region are you chachaded?

Thank you!

All these answers help me a little.

It's true that I like a lot... This "search for solutions" aspect paralyzes me, given my lack of technological knowledge. I don't come from an industrial background at all... even if he attracts me...

Well, I'm going to take a deep breath and go to my interview a little more confident!

Thanks again!

ps: I'm in the North region

1 Like

Hello chacha,

In my experience, the "school" curriculum is one thing, and the job (the real one) is incomparable.

I learned a lot about the industry during my studies (BAC STI mecha engineering + BTS ERO in a plastics oriented high school), I used CATIA, Topsolid, and various design and CAM software.

But when I was first hired, it was a metal stamping company that worked on Solidworks, Tell, and Autocad. (in other words, nothing to do with my training).  Then you realize that you start from 0 (or almost) on all points anyway. But time does things well and now I'm the one who gives advice to others on certain points, and the others continue to give me advice too.

So stress a little but not too much anyway. It's gradually coming into play in the management of the bigger projects, but it's true that you won't have full responsibility for the design of the next Ariane for sure, the others will be there to help you and work as a team :p

Finally, what is the experience?

It's seeing enough systems to think of various solutions to a given problem and especially to learn from your mistakes.

As it was said, when you enter a new company, unless you have worked before for a competitor, you have almost everything to learn.

The key is to show that you have a minimum of common sense, motivation, respect, team spirit and humility.

1 Like