3D via composer in EPDM

Hello 

I am looking to manage compose files via EPDM, For this, do you have a file management method?

- Should the generated files be archived in the same place as the 3D sw 

- Do you need to create a particular workflow

- A particular data card

Basically, are there any pitfalls to avoid 

A+

Hello

For me the location doesn't matter, the data map can be different if you have specific search criteria, the workflow the same.

I would tend to answer that it depends mainly on what you want to do:

- Link the composer to the SW to manage index rises?

- Manage the compose alone?

@+

3 Likes

I think I will do how with the drawings compose them to the evolution of the index.

Maybe you shouldn't try to "be obstinate" (the quotation marks are to moderate the point ;-) )  to keep the compose at the same index as the drawing, experience shows that quickly you are led to evolve the 2 in a different way: if you do for example editing procedures, your drawing may be good but you can have feedback from the editor to modify only your procedure, so a hint passage on the Composer and not on the drawing.

Unless you have 2 levels of index, minor and major.

And this is true even outside the EPDM

2 Likes

A quick question about your working method under composer:

Do you use .smg (all encompassed) or .smgProj (exploded geometries, views, scenes and xml) files?

For file localization, this affects a lot of things.

This is because given the link between Composer geometry and SolidWorks geometry, it makes sense to keep the .smgGeom file in a folder close to the .sldasm source.

On the other hand, the .smgProj or .smgXml "publication" file does not need to be specially with SolidWorks geometry. This file can be in a "Marketing" or "After-sales service" folder in a parallel tree structure and follow its own workflows and index sets.

Indeed, in a Marketing or After-Sales department, the validations or evolutions of technical documents or instructions are often less recurrent than the evolutions of SolidWorks geometry by the design office. The indices will therefore diverge very quickly, but it doesn't matter as long as the .smgGeom file remains more or less up to date with the evolution of SolidWorks geometry.

I will be interested in knowing your methodology when it is well in place. indeed, I don't have EPDM myself but I'm very interested in the behavior of Composer files in EPDM in the event that we evolve towards this technical data management system. In particular, to know what happens to the links between .smgProj and .smgGeom and others in the event of the latter being moved...

So thank you in advance for your feedback.

Kind regards

3 Likes