About Optimized Copy

Hello

I'm in the process of testing optimized copies to understand how it works.

There is a point that I do not understand well in relation to the geometric reference elements allowing the positioning of the body of the part that we want to add to a part.

Here is the course of my procedure.

In the part where we want to copy a part  body (we will call it "model part"), the steps carried out are:
1) Insertion --> Smart Templates --> Optimized Copy
2) Select the part body you want to reproduce: in the example, a ball that was created using a sketch from a coordinate system (and not basic plans)
3) Verify the geometric elements of the optimized copy's positioning: a plane of the coordinate system

In the part where we want to copy the optimized copy (the body of the part that we have just copied), the steps carried out are:
1) Insert --> Instantiate from Selection 
2) Then click the optimized copy of the "model part" (part where the part body is glued).
3) Choose the reference geometric elements allowing the positioning of the glued part body: in the example, I choose the piston plane.

Here is a screenshot of the manipulation performed:

Why is the body of the part obtained not located on the reference geometric element that I have chosen, namely the piston plane? Apparently, it lands in the "basic plans" marker.

Is your sketch a positioned sketch or a "classic" sketch?

1 Like

The part body of the "model part" (part where I want to copy my part body) was created from a classic sketch whose support is an additional reference point

Hello

+1 @BBpoulet.

With the Catia file I could see the PB better but @BBpoulet's remark is already an important point. With a classic sketch, the copy is made on the selected support, but the origin of this sketch will be reconstructed on the normal projection of the origin of the absolute coordinate system on the " piston " support plane.

1 Like

OK. I will try to clarify. On the other hand, I would like to insert a prettier image but it doesn't work. My image. Gif looks pretty in my location on my desktop and when I insert it it becomes very inaccurate.

Do you have any ideas for me to insert a better quality image?

Thank you in advance for your help

See this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gpnkkLU0LU

1 Like

I don't use the Catia image capture tool, but directly print/screen and then paste in Paint I just cut the part that interests me and save in .png format.

Otherwise there is camstudio for video recording.

Edit: +1 GT22 but I don't have photostudio.

OK. I was able to change the image. The .png format works best on the forum.

Otherwise, compared to your remark Franc "With a classic sketch the copy is done on the selected support but the origin of this sketch will be reconstructed on the normal projection of the origin of the absolute coordinate system on the " piston " support plane., interesting!

On the other hand, I did a classic sketch to build my body of the part from the "model" part. But, this classic sketch used as a sketch support "an axis marker" (not the basic plans).

In your remark, when you say "absolute coordinate system", are you really talking about a reference point in "coordinate systems" or basic reference planes on the one hand?

Can you tell me more about your remark? I think I'm not far from understanding.

Thank you for your help.

The support doesn't matter as long as it's flat.

I'm talking about the common benchmark created by CATIA (in addition to the Basic Plans).

Tools / Options / Infrastructure / Infrastructure Part / CATPart Document / Chaptitle (When creating the part check " Create Axis System").

This coordinate system is by default in X0, Y0, Z0 (the origin of the part) and bears the name

1 Like

As much for me it's worse than before it's really slippery !! See attached video

The instantiation of a sliding sketch gives literally anything, even instantiated on its original medium?

Definitely to banish in optimized copies, prefer wireframe construction elements or positioned sketches (Note that in the latter there remains a direction that is not controllable despite everything).

implant-esquisse-glissante.mp4
1 Like

"With a classic sketch, the copy is done on the selected support, but the origin of this sketch will be reconstructed on the normal projection of the origin of the absolute coordinate system on the " piston " support plane."

Obviously, this is not even the normal projection of the origin of the absolute coordinate system because the part body does not arrive on the support plane of the piston but centered on the absolute coordinate system. With the projection, it could have been on my support plane.

I'll copy you my shares to try it out.

Question (which is still the one initially asked):
How, with this ball part that contains this optimized copy, can I put the copied part body in the "piston" support plane?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hang in there to finally master these optimized copies!

essai.zip

Edit see video

Position the sketch:

• On the plane of the benchmark
  • The origin of the benchmark
  • The V axis of the sketch following the Z axis of the coordinate system (the shape being a revolution around Z, if the H axis of the sketch is reversed, the impact is small, unlike V, the survey could be inverted or downright loose)

1)    Point 2 should be replaced by the origin of the marker.1 and deleted.
2)    Point.3 useless (origin Benchmark.1)
In the Connecting Rod2 file, I would have avoided Sketch.1, especially since you superimpose it on the right Distance between the rod.

corrige.mp4

OK. Thank you Franck for your explanations.

I'm starting to see better even if I still have points to understand to master optimized copies.

If I understand correctly, the mastery of optimized copies goes through the definition of the "component inputs" of the optimized copy. These are the reference elements that allow the construction of the part body that we want to copy via optimized copying.

Image 1: Visualization of incoming components in the optimized copy before using the positioned sketch

Image 2: Viewing Incoming Components in the Optimized Copy After Editing

The incoming elements are then: Coordinate System.1\XY Plane, Coordinate System.1\Origin, Coordinate System.1\ Z Axis

Questions:

1) How does CATIA automatically select the reference elements (inputs, components) of the optimized copy? Is this the exhaustive list of geometric elements that made it possible to build the body of the part that we want to copy?

2) Apparently, in the "Component Input" window (right window of image 1), you can click on the "Component Inputs" elements already selected. What can be changed then? If you click on the "component entries", I see that it can delete them.

3) In the Ball part, I saw that you removed point 2. But this was used to define the scale factor. How is the scale factor function then defined?

Yes, the reference elements are the "Parent" of the  functions that we have embedded in the optimized copy.

If we embed all the parents (nothing in the right window) we create a copy that rebuilds in the location where it was created in the original part.

1) It's not an automatic selection as I said above, it's up to you to decide which elements you don't include and which will therefore have to exist in the part where the copy will be instantiated.

2) you can click again to change the reference if you are wrong or change the orientation in which catia must rebuild (zoom it is a green arrow located on the element you have selected) you click on the end of the arrow it reverses the direction (that's why you always have to preview AV to validate.

3) in an optimized copy you have to master all the parent-child links so the fewer elements you have the more robust or easy it is to rebuild.

The point was coincident on the origin of the onboard marker so I replace it with this origin and then destroy it.

Good evening.

PM Response

The screenshot shows the result.

We could embed the coordinate system and define it on 1 point and 1 direction of the cylinder axis (in Z) it would be enough but your remarks are right (it's + proper to have the same types of elements as those available to rebuild.

1 isolate the axle (otherwise update loop it is built on the cylinder)

2 Creates a point (isolate for safety).

3 Right click on the sketch / redefine the sketch support.

4 in the window we delete the orientation of one of the axes of the sketch (no need for a circle, no risk if the axes are reversed and it makes one less entry)

5 we redefine the point that was on the origin of the coordinate system1 (on the isolated point, it will be the entry point of the copy)

6 we are going to redefine the sketch support plan originally on XY of coordinate 1 (the rather than having created a plan that we embed the trick is to create it automatically under the sketch)

Right-click in the window on the media selection box / create the plane - it opens a plan creation window, select plane /normal has a curve (the axis 1 curve then the point1) and OK

All that remains is to redefine the origin of the scale factor on point 1 for it to follow

And there you have it, the reconstruction entries of the copy will be a point and a line

1 Like

Super.

Almost there. I have just a few small points left to elucidate.

1) For point 1 that you created, where did you create it? I put it on the origin of the marker.

2) By the way, why do we create this point and not use the origin of the coordinate system?

3) Do we need to redefine the axis that was used to create the perpendicular plane for the sketch support and that was isolated? And if so, how?

Hello:

1 ) Yes on the origin of the marker.

2 ) yes we can but it's more readable to have all the refs in the geometric set. (by the way, we would have created the point first and then the axis (straight point / direction) I was the fastest by isolating the axis that was already created.

3 ) no need to redefine the axis (In the part that creates the optimized copy I often have the habit of isolating the references once built, it prevents inadvertently modifying these references.

If you want to redefine right-click on the element in the window, click the element, normally it's the last line  , then click on definition.

Note related to optimized copies and design in general:

In the sketch that creates the cylinder, you have drawn 2 circles, it is preferable to create a single circle (internal or external depending on the function (e.g. if it is the outside of the circle that provides the guidance, the outer circle is created).

Then in the extrusion we choose thicken and then in the lower right part of the window we put the thickness (inside for the case mentioned above).

It's more robust.

Hello answer MP.

Copy optimized sphere redefine on only 1 center point and axis of rotation.

Since you can't create a plane (sketch support) on 1 point and 1 coincident line, you'll have to create other elements.

A Normal plane has a curve, then 1 point on a plane which allows us to create a plane (support for the sketch) passing through this point and the line. (Plans coincide with the axis of revolution of the sketch).

To embed them under the sketch, we take this sequence and create it backwards.

1 point/straight plane (z-axis) click field point (create point)

2 Point on plan click plan field (create the plan)

3 plane Normal has a curve (point origin coordinate system, z-axis curve)

4 Point on plan (we have just created the plane remains to be defined (reference, origin of the coordinate system, surface projection of the plane we have just created.

Watch video

modif-2.mp4

Awesome!

1) On the other hand, I get the following error message at instantiation:

Here is my part in copy.

But, I changed slightly at the point and the axis but I had to change badly.

2) On the other hand, I got it while redoing the video but I didn't manage to understand all the steps.

In particular, how could a created shot be switched to the sketch plane?

To illustrate my point, it is the passage between the following two images that I did not capture:

Photo 1:

Photo1:

boulemod.catpart

It doesn't flip it's two different planes when you open the sketch tree under the marker node, there are 2 planes and a point